Found The Source Of My Random Errors!

Some_Guy_

For the past few days, I've been having a problem with random errors. I thought it may have been software-based, so I did a "repair" installation of XP. It didn't help.

Tonight, I noticed my temps shot wayyy up - 43 CPU and 40 case. Usually they're more like 35/31 under load. I also noticed slow hard drive performance.

Thinking the two were linked, I checked out my hard drive cooler thingy, and the fan was so hot I could barely touch it. The bearing had siezed. I took it off and now I'm running my usual temps again. I popped the fan apart and found that the shaft that goes inside the sleeve had melted from the heat.

So either my hard drive was being heated by the fan, or the fan was causing power problems, or both.

There's your problem. It had sleeve bearings. I don't go below single ball bearing when I choose my fans. Quieter, longer lasting, more efficient: ball bearing. It's what's for cooling :P

Is the Ball Bearing Institute paying you for that plug?

I know sleeve bearings aren't the greatest. The fan on there was the one that came with it. I guess I'll be looking for a decent 60mm fan now. How 'bout a stealth?