having trouble getting past a clock

Hey, i'm relatively new to overclocking, and i've just built myself a nice budget gaming pc with a nice video card to overclock, the problem is, i'm having trouble getting past 950 MHz.

I am using an ASUS M4A785TD-V and i am overclocking a MSI branded radeon HD 5770 hawk

the card has an EXCELLENT cooling system and i have yet to see it go above 61 degrees during benchmarks, however once i push my core clock past 950 MHz i freeze and get a driver error, windows is able to recover from it by putting the core clock back down but i'd really like to push it higher.

fvGiw.jpg

If i put the core clock at 955 MHz, i see tearing in the screen and pixels out of place as the driver is failing.

Anyone have any ideas? According to this http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_hd5770_hawk_1gb/6.htm, up to 1075 should be possible.

Thanks for any help!!

actually lower that to 940, i got a driver failure after a good 30 minutes of game play at 950

Edited by Nooblet0218

allright so i started to play with the voltage a bit more, quick question: how bad is it to over-over-volt? because i had to push it a bit to get my core speed up but it does work...

to get a stable core clock of 1000 MHz I had to raise the voltage to near max (1340). maybe the voltage i am setting here isn't the voltage that is in reality going through the card? should i use a voltmeter and check?

If you are getting a higher clock then you are definitely raising the GPU core clock. I don't think raising the core clock to 1.3v can really hurt much. That MSI has a really nice cooling fan on it so if your temps are in check I would say let it eat and put it to 1.3 volts and see what it can do. Not all GPU's will overclock the same. With maxed volts on my XFX 5770 XXX I can get up to 1035mhz stable but I have to turn up the fan manually to keep it under 80c because the cooler on mine is the reference design which is not the greatest. Anything over 950mhz you will start to see less and less benifet to frame rates and overall performance. I keep mine at 960mhz because mine will hit that on stock volts but as I said every GPU is different. I has heard of those MSI's in some cases hitting 1100mhz but I have heard as low as 940mhz from other 5770's. Mine is supposedly a hand picked chip and it overclocks well.

If you have hit your max overclock and you still want more performance I would suggest getting a second 5770 and running them in Crossfire. They perform so well in Crossfire it is almost scary.

Hope I helped.

Edited by gabrieltessin

yeah that did help, so there's nothing wrong with higher voltage as long as theres no heat problem correct? this card handles heat like a champ and i havent seen it past 63 even after 20 minutes of benchmarking.

right now i'm just trying to find the best STABLE state for my card, it seems that everytime i think something is stable, it'll crash after 5-10 minutes of the stability test. right now I'm at 1345 MHz memory clock, and 945 MHz core clock, i suspect that my stable core clock is closer to 1000 MHz and the memory is closer to 1340. once i get a stable test at this low core clock i'll start to raise it a bit.

How long should a 100% gpu stability test run until I can call the system stable? I read somewhere that it's 24 hours but that seems like overkill, what do you guys recommend?

Just remember that not every card will clock the same. Just because the card in the review hit that, it doesn't mean your card will. It's my understanding that card manufacturers will "cherry pick", or basically send a card they've tested that clocks the best to reviewers for the review. Palit sent out some gtx460's with a non-stock cooler to review sites. People got all amped up about the insane cooler on the card, and were crazy disappointed when the cooler they actually sold with it came nowhere near the same performance. Not that all companies do this, but it does happen.

all right well after a bit of tweeking and some intense hour + testing, it looks like 940 MHz is my best stable core speed, and i'm not positive on my memory clock.

its kinda sad that it can't go further because this card barely breaks 60 degrees when at 100% load for 20 minutes +