80 Degrees @ 4GHz Too much?

hawkin90

As long as it never goes too much over 80 you'll be fine. TjMax is 100 C for those chips.

Bullcrap on max TDP. That ids what intel says but tests have proven 100 is excessive. . 80-85 under load max is as high as the "pushers" go.

Edited by Drdeath

Bullcrap on max TDP. That ids what intel says but tests have proven 100 is excessive. . 80-85 under load max is as high as the "pushers" go.

If the chip can't handle it, and they say it can. I'd say that's grounds for a replacement or they should update their site

Lets not confuse max TDP, with Tcase max or TjMax

Up to this point no one had even mentioned max TDP (Thermal Design Power) which on the i7 is 130W

Now on to Tcase and TjMax - Tcase is the correct terminology when discussing the i7 with integrated IHS (essentially all of the core 900 desktop processors from i7 920 up to i7 975)

The Tcase max temperature for the i7's mentioned above is 67.9C

On top of that you can add about 15C for a reasonable safe long term temp of 82.9C when using monitoring tools such as RealTemp etc.

Since Tjmax is hard coded on die most thermal monitoring tools (i.e. RealTemp etc.) report a Tjmax of 100C. And I assume they are reading that directly off of the cpu register.

For me that is way too high to trust my $300 processor to.

Edited by wevsspot