Semi-Budget Build

Penti

what's the difference between a 768mb GTX460 OC and a 1gb non-OC one in terms of performance?

Thanks again!

The difference between the 768MB and 1GB is the added memory and ROP units. The ROP units really help for AA and higher resolutions. In terms of performance the OCed 768 will perform at or above the 1GB, but the 1GB can overclock just as high, so there isn't much reason for the 768 except a cheaper model.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, thanks for all your advices, I've decided to jump the gun and try my hand at a AMD + ATI combo, something I've never done and never seen myself doing until now.. Figure that by the time I'd want to upgrade my rig (beyond a second GPU), I'd be better off going all out and not upgrading the current system..

So how does this set-up look (I have limited access to parts to I can't get some higher-end / bang-for-buck models)?

CPU - Phenom II X4 945 (3.0GHz)

CPU Cooling - CMaster V8

MB - MSI 890GXM-G65

GPU - Sapphire HD 5850

RAM - 2 x OCZ 2GB 800 ddr2 Gold edition

Case - Antec 300

PSU - CMaster M700 Silent Pro 700w

HDD and ODD I'm salvaging off my old PC since they're still relatively new and I got extras..

How does it look? The area I'm not sure of is the RAM (should I go ddr3?) and the PSU (it's the only branded 700w)..

Basically, it's gonna be for gaming, I'm using a 23' 1920 x 1080 monitor..

Again, thanks for all your advices, I've decided to jump the gun and try my hand at a AMD + ATI combo, something I've never done and never seen myself doing until now.. Figure that by the time I'd want to upgrade my rig (beyond a second GPU), I'd be better off going all out and not upgrading the current system..

So how does this set-up look (I have limited access to parts to I can't get some higher-end / bang-for-buck models)?

CPU - Phenom II X4 945 (3.0GHz)

CPU Cooling - CMaster V8

MB - MSI 890GXM-G65

GPU - Sapphire HD 5850

RAM - 2 x OCZ 2GB 800 ddr2 Gold edition

Case - Antec 300

PSU - CMaster M700 Silent Pro 700w

HDD and ODD I'm salvaging off my old PC since they're still relatively new and I got extras..

How does it look? The area I'm not sure of is the RAM (should I go ddr3?) and the PSU (it's the only branded 700w)..

Basically, it's gonna be for gaming, I'm using a 23' 1920 x 1080 monitor..

That Motherboard requires DDR3.

I'm not sure what choices you have, but there are much better CPU coolers than the V8.

Otherwise, it will be a nice machine.

That Motherboard requires DDR3.

I'm not sure what choices you have, but there are much better CPU coolers than the V8.

Otherwise, it will be a nice machine.

Other than the V8, there's only the CM Hyper TX3.. How does that fair against the V8?

Also, will the 700w PSU be enough for the set-up plus another 5850 for a crossfire set-up?

Other than the V8, there's only the CM Hyper TX3.. How does that fair against the V8?

Also, will the 700w PSU be enough for the set-up plus another 5850 for a crossfire set-up?

what do you mean only the Hyper TX3??

I know what it is :P I just mean how come only those two?

There's only one shop where I can buy parts, the rest just have really outdated / low end parts.. The only decent place to get them only has these two and some unbranded ones.. I guess not much people OC their PCs here thus the absence of good coolers (I can't even find liquid cooling over here). :P

That line of PSU's has had good reviews - a 700w version should be fine for a Crossfire setup.

It would help if you gave your location or a link to the store/s you are buying from - kind of hard for people to make a recommendation if they are not presented with a choice ;)

There's only one shop where I can buy parts, the rest just have really outdated / low end parts.. The only decent place to get them only has these two and some unbranded ones.. I guess not much people OC their PCs here thus the absence of good coolers (I can't even find liquid cooling over here). :P

Are you unable to order parts online? That seems like a bummer to have a limited selection. Other then that, like fmc already stated, you'll need some DDR3 ram and then she'll be a nice rig for gaming.

Hey guys, just wanted to know your inputs on a semi-budget build, esp. regarding CPU and GPU..

CPU - Intel i3 540 (3.0GHz) or Intel Q8400 (2.66GHz)

GPU - GTX465 or 9800GT (1GB) in SLI

right now, prices where I'm from, they're mostly the same.. I'm still using my 6 year old PC running P4 3.0GHz so I'm kinda outdated in terms of which is better..

I heard the i3 and the i5 don't get much difference in terms of gaming (while price is almost twice as much).. I don't know how this i3 stacks up to a old quad..

Same goes for the GTX465 and 9800GX2 in SLI.. Going SLI might be less energy efficient, but should be much better than the single GTX.. Also, the 9800GT is listed with 1GB VRAM, 256bit, so I'm not sire if it's listed correctly as 9800GT or if it's the 9800GX2..

Any advice would be good.. Thanks!

Hi, I`m not sure about the processor, but you should definitely go with GTX 465, because it supports DX11.