ATI Noob Question

Hey whats up OCC. Been a while since i've been on here or at least posted anything lol. I recently bought my first ATI card since the 4870's FIRST came out and i chose the XFX HD5870 i got it from microcenter for 399 and so far love the card. Performs great and its a big step from my GTX275 I was running before. What im wanting to know is I've been using MSI's Afterburner program to OC the card but the highest It will let me on the clock is only 900Mhz..... just like in the ATI Catalyst Control Center and i'm wondering if its just like a safety thing or is there some kind of core clock speed lock on this thing that I dont know about? I'm a ATI noob and haven't really been keeping up with their new cards so I really have no idea so any help at all would be great. This is the link to the card I have if that helps also. Rig is in my Sig, Thanks guys :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150476&cm_re=xfx_5870-_-14-150-476-_-Product

There are two possibilities here:

1) You're limited by the manufacturers set ATI OverClock limit.

2) You're constrained by voltages.

And there are two solutions:

1) Go to C:\Program file\MSI Afterburner, edit the 'MSIAfterburner.cfg' file, and change the 'EnableUnofficialOverclocking' from '0' to '1'.

2) Increase the voltage within MSI Afterburner to 1.3V. If you can't adjust your voltages, due to the manufacturer not allowing it, flash to an ASUS BIOS, which allow voltage control.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

I was under the impression you could only flash the reference 5870's and mine's not one..... I could be wrong but thats what i've been told by a couple people....

I believe thats correct. I've been told the same thing about my non reference Gigabyte 5870 by friends who flash lots of cards.

I believe that was on the reference card where u were able to chance the core voltage. I dont have the reference one I have the one with the fan in the middle of the card. On mine the voltage slider in afterburner isn't highlighted so u cant adjust it. I need to flash my bios to an asus card but idk how to.....

U can flash it,but do it at ur own risk,download Winflash and save ur original bios,u can even do this with gpuz and then download the asus bios fromhere,Flash it with the asus bios using winflash,reboot and ur done.

Cypress support was added in version 2.0.1.10.

I'm trying this now.

2) Increase the voltage within MSI Afterburner to 1.3V. If you can't adjust your voltages, due to the manufacturer not allowing it, flash to an ASUS BIOS, which allow voltage control.

This didn't do it for my reference XFX HD5870.

Also, Winflash does not want to flash to an ASUS bios. It says the Device subsystem IDs mismatch.