Problems with temp 75c- i7 930 @ 2.8 Ghz with Corsair H50

leecka

note: i wasn't giving advise one way or another, i was simply offering suggestions to consider when making comparisons with another's setup. in this case, yes - turning off HT can lower performance in highly threaded aps (mostly benchmarks and encoding software from my limited experience), but it can also influence stability, and -as i said before - will greatly affect temps. i have seen more than a few articles where this was disabled when going for a high OC (when speed is more important than parallelism, or temps are critical to stability). i do two things with my PC: gaming and encoding (i'm ripping/encoding my entire DVD library with over 2000 hours worth of video). for gaming, the CPU OC never comes into play - multithreaded or not (i sit at or below 20% usage normally). for encoding, both the multithreading and the OC effect things heavily. if you don't encode, i would very much suggest turning off HT when you aren't benchmarking. it's a simple thing really to enable and disable it for bench runs. of course, professional use still uses multithreading as well (i hadn't thought of that earlier)....anyway, thats my 2 cents. take it for what it's worth.

In that case, I would buy a duo core CPU and most other overclockers would too and save the money. Why have the horsepower and not use it? We buy the i7's for performance.... LOL... Diabling Hyperthreading is for novices......

Edited by Drdeath

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure your dead wrong. I get 60-65c on Prime95 and I get 70-73c on Intel Burn Test

This has been proven in previous threads that Hyperthreading can reduce performance slightly and disabling it can reduce the temps by 10c. Do you know any applications that can fully utilize 8 threads? yeah not many

Before being "pretty sure" make sure you are "100% sure". I am not dead wrong... I am dead right. Intelburn does not stress the cores 100%. I will tell you what. I will run IntelBurn and Prime95 and post the temps......This is just a few minute run and Prime doesn't really kick in to warmer at 15 minutes and maxes out after hours. Before you say someone is dead wrong, you need to try these things... Just to show you what bullcrap Intelburn is, look at the Gflops on Intelburn and Linx....

1-6.png

2-5.png

3-2.png

Edited by Drdeath

Before being "pretty sure" make sure you are "100% sure". I am not dead wrong... I am dead right. Intelburn does not stress the cores 100%. I will tell you what. I will run IntelBurn and Prime95 and post the temps......This is just a few minute run and Prime doesn't really kick in to warmer at 15 minutes and maxes out after hours. Before you say someone is dead wrong, you need to try these things... Just to show you what bullcrap Intelburn is, look at the Gflops on Intelburn and Linx....

1-6.png

2-5.png

3-2.png

Hey Guys,

Shouldn't the difference the two stress tests be talked about on another thread? just a suggestion.

Anyway, my latest achievement.

i7 930 @ 4.0 Ghz

post-70891-12806583715369_thumb.gif

i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz

post-70891-12806583921551_thumb.gif

at 4.2 the core temp got over 85c, so I thought to call it a day.

Edited by leecka

Hey Guys,

Shouldn't the difference the two stress tests be talked about on another thread? just a suggestion.

Anyway, my latest achievement.

i7 930 @ 4.0 Ghz

post-70891-12806583715369_thumb.gif

i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz

post-70891-12806583921551_thumb.gif

at 4.2 the core temp got over 85c, so I thought to call it a day.

Yup, a thread hijack! Nice overclocks!!!!!!!

Just like to quickly draw attention to the name of the first file in the 3rd column of Death's desktop :P

and nice work leecka :)

good detective work on the "checking" business.

when it gets colder, I will try 4.5

post-67676-12807771704567_thumb.png

post-67676-12807771939594_thumb.png

post-67676-12807771523689_thumb.png

again, Dr.Death you are wrong. In IBT manually select 8 threads instead of letting the program select 4

You are clueless like mentioned by another member. Many have passed Intelburn to fail Prime95......... Prime95 is known to stress NB harder than Intelburn. Your inadequated duo core gets easily stressed 100% for a long time. The quad cores do not get stressed 100% with IntelBurn. Intelburn hits 100% on all cores for a brief 5 seconds and runs 65% though the rest of the pass...... Prime95 and LinX stress the cores on quads and higher for many minutes. Prime95 much longer.....Mr Disable Hyperthreading... The OP asked politely to leave it alone. Start another thread on the subject.

Here is the results of the same time period of each stress test. IntelBurn hit 100% shortly then never stressed the cores 100%. Prime95 maintains 100% for a long period of time.

Intelburn:

intelburn4.png

Prime95:

prime95444.png

Edited by Drdeath