Problems with temp 75c- i7 930 @ 2.8 Ghz with Corsair H50

leecka

Can you post a CPUz screenshot while under load with either cooler?

If its not a voltage issue, then it must be a contact issue- commonly people put too much TIM on but its also very possible that your CPU has a worse-than-average depression in the middle of its heatspreader. I've seen them before that almost look like a bowl.

I've check the flatness of the cpu. It was pretty flat.

Here I have attached the CPU z screen shot.

post-70891-12797243310414_thumb.jpg

Edited by leecka

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm this is weird, i had EXACTLY the same temps before with my non-stock cooler, and, concluding that it was the cooler, installed the stock one for comparison and now achieve idle temps of mid 30's and load temps of mid 60's. Note that i have the exact same CPU as you, and looking at your screenshot, the exact same settings as well (stock, no overclock). The only thing i can think of is that there isnt good contact as someone above has said, the way i was able to tell is that i actually put my eye on the same level as the CPU when the cooler was attached and i could see right through to the other side, indicating a substantial gap between my cooler and my CPU, and thus the bad temps. Do you have a configuration such that you could do this? even if you look through the top or side of the case and can see through where the cooler should be contacting the CPU you will no you are not getting the contact you need. I also found that sometimes with the push-pin system these coolers use, you can think its locked in but actually it isnt and the cooler isnt pressing down onto the CPU when you sit the case up right, it actually comes away a bit. All these things could be causing it, id take a good look at it before pointing the fingers at the CPU itself, because those numbers look awfully familiar to me and now mine is running fine.

UPDATE:

You know how some things can bug you day and night. Well, this temperature issue has been doing exactly just that.

Yesterday, I said the back plate holding the H50 heatsink were stuck on too well with thermal pads. Today, I had another go and carefully, I took the back plate off.

Once it was off, I installed the stock cooler with its original thermal paste on it and the results were surprising (to me, anyway)

All the results below were carried out using default clocks and volts. There were no OC at all.

Ambient Temperature 24c. The case was lying flat with the side panel opened.

Stock Cooler Idle Temp, 4 cores ( 49c 48c 49c 45c)

H50 Idle Temp 4 cores (44c 43c 43c 39c)

Prime95

Stock Cooler 100% load Temp 4 cores (90c 88c 90c 87c) - fan @ 2531rpm

H50 100% load Temp 4 cores (71c 70c 70c 67c) - fan @ 1388rpm

As you can see from the results, it appears that the H50 is working and seems to be doing an excellent job It reduced the temperature at load from a high of 90c(stock cooler) to 71c, that is a difference of 19c. Is that a lot? or should it reduce it further?

At idle temperatures the H50 cooled the CPU down by about 5c as compared to stock cooler.

I think from the above results, we can conclude that the H50 is working.

Our focal point of the next investigation should be why is the idle temperature of the i7 930 so high as compared to other i7 930 reviews scattered all over the Internet.

When I get another i7 930 cpu this weekend, I will look at the issue further and report any new findings.

Comments and suggestion?

Those temps are still high.

i kinda had similar temps with stock cooler at one point, as Fooize explains with stock coolers those push pins can get you. other than that all i can say is remove it once again, clean it all off and reapply.

i also see the rams set to 1800, try leaving it at stock 1066 because its possible the board is trying to overclock everything when its set to auto. i had a XMP set do similar things and tried to posts at 4.4ghz until i turned auto off and set to 1066.

Edited by hornybluecow

haha, its Foozle (FOOZLE) just to clear that up :P

Update II

I got the another i7 930 cpu and it had the same temps as my original cpu (stock cooler). So I think there is nothing wrong with my cpu. I also downloaded a processor diagnostic programme from Intel and ran that. It came back all OK.

I also got my new fans and installed those

post-70891-12798437920948_thumb.jpg

After installing the new fans and using the H50 again. The temperature dropped!

Ambient temp 24c @100%load

2.97Ghz (1.168v) Ram 1866 (1.64v)

64c 63c 63c 59c

Hornybluecow suggested using 1066 for the ram and here are the results

2.97Ghz (1.216v) Ram 1066 (1.5v)

67c 65c 66c 62c

Even when I am writing this the core temperatures are only

42c 42c 42c 37c

What was the cause of the high temperature problem? I am not really sure, but I think it is only down to three possibilities.

1. poor airflow (most likely)

2. not enough TIM between CPU and cooler (maybe)

3. high voltages (least likely)

Either way, I am glad this is over and that I can move on to my next goal. 4.0Ghz!!

Thanks to all who contributed to this topic and have helped me solve what I thought was a potentially a very costly problem.

I would like to say one thing, Corsair did agree to take the H50 back and have it checked out for me. But I knew I had to exhaust all leads before I would send it back. As it turned out, it was not necessary to return it.

This had been a very good learning exercise.

Those ambient temps are still a little high, normal with stock cooler and no overclock is mid-high 30's. But those load temps are perfectly normal, well done on fixing it :) I guess we will be pushing forward together towards the magical 4 with our 930's :P

Update II

I got the another i7 930 cpu and it had the same temps as my original cpu (stock cooler). So I think there is nothing wrong with my cpu. I also downloaded a processor diagnostic programme from Intel and ran that. It came back all OK.

I also got my new fans and installed those

post-70891-12798437920948_thumb.jpg

After installing the new fans and using the H50 again. The temperature dropped!

Ambient temp 24c @100%load

2.97Ghz (1.168v) Ram 1866 (1.64v)

64c 63c 63c 59c

Hornybluecow suggested using 1066 for the ram and here are the results

2.97Ghz (1.216v) Ram 1066 (1.5v)

67c 65c 66c 62c

Even when I am writing this the core temperatures are only

42c 42c 42c 37c

What was the cause of the high temperature problem? I am not really sure, but I think it is only down to three possibilities.

1. poor airflow (most likely)

2. not enough TIM between CPU and cooler (maybe)

3. high voltages (least likely)

Either way, I am glad this is over and that I can move on to my next goal. 4.0Ghz!!

Thanks to all who contributed to this topic and have helped me solve what I thought was a potentially a very costly problem.

I would like to say one thing, Corsair did agree to take the H50 back and have it checked out for me. But I knew I had to exhaust all leads before I would send it back. As it turned out, it was not necessary to return it.

This had been a very good learning exercise.

OMG, why would you get another CPU. That is the most rediculous thing I have heard in 4 years.

Looks like ur processor is faulty,RMA it. thumbsup3.gif

I am going to be real rough on this. Where do you get off suggesting someone RMA a CPU for obviously no reason. Please keep those suggestions off the board my friend. Unless the CPU does not work, this is bad advise.

Those ambient temps are still a little high, normal with stock cooler and no overclock is mid-high 30's. But those load temps are perfectly normal, well done on fixing it :) I guess we will be pushing forward together towards the magical 4 with our 930's :P

I know they are still a bit high, but I think I have done all that I can or have I? In fact, a friend of mine just bought an H50 and I will go and have a play with it this weekend and get some more data.

So it looks like this is not over after all.