OC help.

I don't think the 120mm fan will be necessary any more :D I suddenly remembered that I had a spare 120mm fan so I just hooked it up to a spare molex connector and fired up the bad boy. Now all I need is the motherboard and the CPU cooler. I will go with the Gigabyte board I listed and the noctua cooler.

I don't think the 120mm fan will be necessary any more :D I suddenly remembered that I had a spare 120mm fan so I just hooked it up to a spare molex connector and fired up the bad boy. Now all I need is the motherboard and the CPU cooler. I will go with the Gigabyte board I listed and the noctua cooler.

Great. After u get them set up, it should be an easy overclock from there.

Just one more question what would be a better buy, a 5750 or GTS250

Well with the Gigabyte mobo, you'll have to get the 5750 (which is a pretty good card, I was just re-reading reviews of that and the 5870 I'll be getting) since it's an AMD-ATI mobo. I'm not sure but I think that nvidia cards can also run on ATI-bases mobos but it won't be as efficient. As for the 5750 or gts250, I'd definitely go for the 5750 (Sapphire version if possible). I think it's supposed to produce less heat (overall, PLUS Sapphire has the vapor-x cooler) and use less power. Plus it has all those new thingies like eye-finity and DX11 support.

Edited by ballist1x

im running ATI cards in my comp and i must say that i am extremely happy with their performance. I know that i am running two, but i was able to get both for around 400$ total and am now achieving very high framerates on anything i throw at them. Im using the MSI HD5770 Hawk edition cards, they are reviewed here at: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_hd5770_hawk_1gb/

So if the card your going to get is anywhere near the 400$ mark, mayb consider getting two of these?

Otherwise i have always thought NVIDIA was the way to go with stand-alone cards.

Otherwise i have always thought NVIDIA was the way to go with stand-alone cards.

could soon be the end of that with the implementation of OpenCL in the ATI cards. I haven't read a whole lot about it but I think the 5k series already uses it. We'll see how they improve upon that with the new 6k cards.

Also nice set up with the dual 5770s. Though I'm not sure if they perform as well as a single 400$ card...

Edited by ballist1x

Just one more question what would be a better buy, a 5750 or GTS250

To clarify - you can run a single ATI or nVidia graphics card on that Gigabyte board. Neither the board/nor chipset willl affect how well your graphics perform.

To the OP - if you can swing just a little bit more money the nVidia GTX460 1GB card would be an outstanding choice.

Edited by wevsspot

The board/nor chipset willl affect how well your graphics perform.

So what's the point in having nvidia or ati chipsets if you can run any gpu on any mobo? Wouldn't that be like buying a game for Xbox360 that you can run on the PS3 and vice versa?

Edited by ballist1x

To the OP - if you can swing just a little bit more money the nVidia GTX460 1GB card would be an outstanding choice.

That's exactly what I was thinking. http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=37824&category_id=1035&manufacturer_id=0 and http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=52316&category_id=1216&manufacturer_id=0&tid=ne5tx460fhd79

£149 for GTX460 and £112 for 5750. I may as well wait a while then. £37 for a huge performance boost.

could soon be the end of that with the implementation of OpenCL in the ATI cards. I haven't read a whole lot about it but I think the 5k series already uses it. We'll see how they improve upon that with the new 6k cards.

Also nice set up with the dual 5770s. Though I'm not sure if they perform as well as a single 400$ card...

just remember we are talking Australian dollars here :P I have actually tested the performance against one of my mates machines and they do marginally better, he has a 500$ nvidia card in there, ill get his exact specs off him when i see him next. Also i will try to get a sig going with my specs in it when i have the time, its 5am here lol

So what's the point in having nvidia or ati chipsets if you can run any gpu on any mobo? Wouldn't that be like buying a game for Xbox360 that you can run on the PS3 and vice versa?

The point is neither chipset manufacturer can afford to exclude an entire class of customers based on what brand video card they have. That experiement has been tried before and was an epic fail. I'll even take you back to the NF4 days when everyone said that AMD cards wouldn't run or wouldn't run well with the nForce 4 chipset. That was a bunch of hog wash. I personally ran several video cards across my DFI NF4 Ultra and NF4 SLi boards and they ran perfectly.

The point is neither chipset manufacturer can afford to exclude an entire class of customers based on what brand video card they have. That experiement has been tried before and was an epic fail. I'll even take you back to the NF4 days when everyone said that AMD cards wouldn't run or wouldn't run well with the nForce 4 chipset. That was a bunch of hog wash. I personally ran several video cards across my DFI NF4 Ultra and NF4 SLi boards and they ran perfectly.

Interesting... well that certainly opens up some more flexibility to a build. Thanks for clearing it up for me.