Big Question

Hi all I want to know if amd is good to overclocking I explain now I have a i7 920 and a asus rampage 2 gene I want to change that because my max overclock is 4.6 ghz on watercooling and I want more does a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition is good to overclock or not really.... and which motherboard should I take to overclock it to the maximum thanks for the help

I look for something like

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 6 Core Processor 3.2GHZ Socket AM3

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 AMD890FX ATX-XL AM3 DDR3 4PCI-E 4-WAY CrossFireX 2GBLAN SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

G.SKILL F3-14400CL7D-4GBFLS Flare PC3-14400 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1800 CL7-8-7-24 Phenom II X6 Memory Kit

Better than current system?

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366

ASUS Rampage II Gene mATX LGA1366 DDR3 X58 2PCI-E16 PCI-E4 PCI GBLAN CrossFire SLI Motherboard

Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1333C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit

1. Yes, AMD Black Edition CPUs are quite good overclockers so with a bit of luck, you should be able to overclock nicely with your watercooling system. Though your 4.6Ghz seems like a very nice overclock already so I don't know how much more than that you'll get even if you change to AMD. I think that what you need is a better water cooling system, or taking it up a notch with a phase change unit or if you're rich - LN2.

2. Yes, the AMD x6 build is better than the i7 920.

I think a 920 @ 4.6 is about as good as it gets when it comes to overclocking, especially on water.

Just be happy with what you have :P and wait for the next CPU architecture to come out,

then you might actually see some performance increase for the $$$ you spend

I cant imagine a 6-core Thuban at any achievable overclock beating out a 4.6GHz i7-920 in any performance metric. Just look at the Socket AM3 OC Competition. The highest OCCT one hour stable Thuban overclock is 4.58GHz, and thats on a phase unit. The 1M SuperPi scores for the highest overclocked Thubans dont beat 4GHz 920's from the Socket 1366/1156 Overclocking Competition Thread.

I would absolutely stay with your 920, you have a fantastic overclock. Run those benchmarks for yourself and see!