Cleaning The Goo Off

petrim

Hello there,

I'll soon be getting some parts from my friend (P4 3.06 Ghz + mobo +memory), and since I'll be switching motherboards I'll need to remove the heatsink and cpu (duh). :)

I asked my local dealer about how to clean the cpu and heatsink, and he replied that I should only use cotton to remove the old thermal paste. Is this true? Because I've read that one should use rubbing alcohol (well, acetone comes closest to my mind, since I have no idea what rubbing alcohol is called in Swedish).

Oh, and is Arctic Silver 5 really this easy to apply as they demonstrate on their website?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

It says that with a P4, one should skip to step 10. Is this all there is to it? Just put a small amount on the heat spreader and on with the heatsink? (as it seems, the AS5-instructions don't say anything about putting on thermal compound on the heatsink)

Thanks in advance.

/Petri

I use Q-tips and methyl hydrate (paint dept in solvents) cause 90% is harder to find they usually have 70%.

As for the stuff i never put any on the HS, just the core and when it's hooked (i have AMD) i just twist it left and right barely (2 or 3 degrees) a couple of times it squishes the paste in the hs and i think it takes care of the possible air bubbles that could be stuck between hs and core.

Thanks guys for the replies!

I used my XP2500+ as a test subject, just for fun.. to see how well the stuff I bought works. The local dealer didn't have AS5 or Ceramique in stock so he recommended Titan TTG-S101 (http://www.titan-cd.com/)

Cleaned everything up (with acetone, didn't see systematic's reply until now). Applied the thermal grease on the heatsink, rubbed it in, wiped it off... applied grease on the cpu and on with the heatsink and then I wiggled it a little as suggested. Put everything back in the case and everything starts. So everything went well, so far. Haven't put the system under pressure just yet... after I've done so I see how good this stuff is. :)

Edited by petrim