Speakers and Digital Output

DeathNote

Here is my setup:

I have my speakers hooked up to the standard auido port (3.5mm) on my motherboard, and I have my headphones hooked up to the Digital (Optical) port.

Is there anyway to make it so that both ports are playing the same audio at once?

Chipset is an Realtek® ALC1200 (HD Realtek)

Far as I know, both Vista and W7 (and possibly the Realtek drivers as well) don't allow that. You'd need to have an optical out and a coax out in order to do that or use the optical out and an NVIDIA card. For the latter, you'd have to have an NVIDIA card that has an internal SPDIF connector which will connect to the motherboards internal header to pump out the sound at the same time as the onboard optical out. It will basically output the exact same sound from two different locations since it is using one source. That would probably be the preferred way to do it imo. Like I said, you can't really use analog and digital out at the same time since Vista and W7 don't allow it. Steve may know another way or a workaround or something that may be a little less complicated. :lol:

What type of heaphones do you have that have a Digital Optical connector on them?

If they are just analoug heaphones that work in a NORMAL 3.5mm jack, the reason it dosent work is nothing to do with Windows, but to do with the fact you have connected them to the wrong port.

It is possible to pump out audio over both Digital Audio & analoug at the same time. You just need devices attached that support this.

Digital connections need a decoder at the other end, so unless your headphones have some sort of decoder box (which would also need power, so a USB connection would probably also be required)

It just sounds like you dont really understand what connectors are compatible with each other and the devices on the other end.

To really anaswer your question, please list what motherboard, what speakers and what headphones you have.

I can setup my Windows 7 computer to output to both the speakers and headphones, so let me describe my setup. I've got my speakers plugged into the stereo out on the motherboard and my headphones plugged into the front port of the case, which I have configured to use the so called HD digital sound, instead of analog. It is not a combo port that also does optical out though. All I had to do to get both ports to out put is go into the VIA HD Audio Deck and set in the options to not "When plug in Headphone, mute Speaker."

Hope this helps, but if not, please provide the information zPETEZz asks for.

I have a regular set of 2.1 speakers plugged into the regular audio out (3.5mm) port on the motherboard.

My headphones are hooked up to a MixAmp that can use an optical in. (I have Astro A40s)

Motherboard is ASUS M4A79 Deluxe

If you using an AMP that can playback digital, you should be fine.

Go into the audio panel and set the audio output over Optical to PCM. When I do this with my setup, I get sound out of both Analoug & Digital.

If you using an AMP that can playback digital, you should be fine.

Go into the audio panel and set the audio output over Optical to PCM. When I do this with my setup, I get sound out of both Analoug & Digital.

How can I do this with my Creative X-Fi? I can get sound to play through both my analog connected headphones and digital connected 5.1 receiver but I can't get music to play through both only one or the other.

• 1 month later...

How can I do this with my Creative X-Fi? I can get sound to play through both my analog connected headphones and digital connected 5.1 receiver but I can't get music to play through both only one or the other.

Hi,

I have the X Fi Fatality Champion Series sound card and I can have both head phones and/or speakers on, digital and/or analog.

Go into the creative console, there is a tab called headphone detection. It is all there.

Have Fun

Hi,

I have the X Fi Fatality Champion Series sound card and I can have both head phones and/or speakers on, digital and/or analog.

Go into the creative console, there is a tab called headphone detection. It is all there.

Have Fun

Couldn't do it before but updated to the new Youp-Pax drivers for my X-Fi which gave me more utilities. Apparently now SPDIF comes in through speakers in the Control Panel Sound applet as well as the SPDIF. When I changed to speakers it now outputs sounds through both. Only does this with Dolby Digital Live encoder enabled apparently and if headphones are connected it forces me to 2.1 and that's only on the sound tests. Music only plays out the fronts and center and the rears are silent until I turn off Live and switch back to SPDIF.