Choosing between a GTX480 or 5870

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I know that this is probably one of the most frequently asked questions around here, but bear with me.

In a few weeks I'm going to be getting enough money to burn on a new graphics card, most likely selling my GTX 260 in the process. I use it primarily for gaming (atm I'm playing lots of AvP2010 and B:BC2) and for graphics work. I use 3DS Max, Blender and Photoshop VERY heavily and I'm doing some fiddling around with games (mainly just to see what I can do with an engine, I have no illusions of making a massively successful game out of my bedroom)

I've got a pretty little case, I crappy little Thermaltake V9 http://www.thermaltake.com/product_info.aspx?PARENT_CID=C_00001176&id=C_00001196&name=V9 (mines not the 'black edition') which I want to replace with the CM 690 II Advanced http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6638.

If I get the case I will probably fill every available fan slot with hi speed (not too noisy though) fans which should help with the GTX480s high temperatures.

I've been leaning towards the GTX480, but I wanted to get some expert opinions. The 480 is hot as . and noisy. I live in Brisbane, Australia too, so it could get REALLY warm, although I use air conditioning during summer. The 5870 is cheaper and cooler, but not as powerful. I really don't know if the kind of games I'm going to be getting will be utilizing PhysX and Tessellation a lot or not. I suppose I will probably be mainly getting FPS games unless some good RPGs and survival horrors come out.

So what do you guys think? Will the 480 be able to cope in Brisbane? And is it really worth getting it? Or is tessellation and PhysX something that isn't really going to see too much utilization? Is there any other useful information I need to provide?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if my opinion will bear much weight because I can't speak for myself, but a friend of mine is a game character designer, and he said that ATI has never been any good as far as he's concerned when it comes to modelling game characters. If you want to do some serious engine and graphics work I'd say the 480 would be best :thumbsup: Temps should be fine despite the hot climate, especially if you put all those fans in. There are no doubt people who've got 480's and less-than-adequate case ventilation and havn't really had a problem at all.

As for the 5870, I can almost vouch for it, and it runs like a dream. Have a 5850 myself so I imagine it's only a better version of my card :P Idles at 30, peaks around 60 somewhere under load, but this is in the UK and spring hasn't started off as warm as we'd hoped.

Get the 480. Faster and does much better with Tessellation. If you really worry about heat then wait for the Galaxy one to come out (the 470 that was just released by them has an interesting cooling solution)

Well take a look at what games you play, what games you'd like to play that aren't out yet and what features they have. Some games don't even support Physx, so that rules that out. And as for tesselation, yea the 480 kills the 5870 in that regard, but you to look at the games you play as well, how much do they use tesselation? If the games that you'd like to play & aren't out & won't be out for more than a year don't heavily incorporate Physx/Tesselation, then go with the 5870.

If you're ok with the power consumption & heat/noise output of the 480, and plan on playing physx & tesselation heavy games, then go with the 480 ;)

Go with dual (crossfire) 5770. This combo, on a decent board, will handle anything you throw at it, tesselation included. Should cost even less than a single 5870.

But first and foremost: what is your screen resolution? This is the key factor.

I'm using a 1920 x 1080 LCD monitor. Er, I'm not really sure which games are coming out that utilize PhysX or tessellation. Is there some list or something that I can consult to see what games are coming up that will support them?

I'm using a 1920 x 1080 LCD monitor. Er, I'm not really sure which games are coming out that utilize PhysX or tessellation. Is there some list or something that I can consult to see what games are coming up that will support them?

well there might be a list, but I'd just check out game websites to look for any games you might be interested in, and then see if they support physx or tessellation ;)

I'd go with the GTX 480 because it'll help with the CUDA features of Photoshop. 3DSM just needs a plugin and then it can take advantage of CUDA. For design work, the GTX 480 will be a nice boost. So what if you don't play that many games, you'll be designing things quicker since the GPU can handle more of the load.

I'd go with the GTX 480 because it'll help with the CUDA features of Photoshop. 3DSM just needs a plugin and then it can take advantage of CUDA. For design work, the GTX 480 will be a nice boost. So what if you don't play that many games, you'll be designing things quicker since the GPU can handle more of the load.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say I don't play many games. :P I didn't know Photoshop and 3DSM could use CUDA. Probably tipped the scale about 90% in Nvidias favour.

Go with the 470

Er, any reason why?

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say I don't play many games. :P I didn't know Photoshop and 3DSM could use CUDA. Probably tipped the scale about 90% in Nvidias favour.

Er, any reason why?

:lol: I meant it in, you don't game on the computer the entire time. :P

I believe Photoshop CS4 and newer use CUDA, though CS3 may. I just know CS4 and CS5 can both take advantage of it. 3DSM just needs a plugin, found towards the bottom of this page.

Also, the reason for a 470 is because its cheaper, uses less power, and will still be able to do all the CUDA features as the 480. Least, thats why I'd go with one.