Gamespot Sucks Now?

InCrYsIs

Ya know, I was just thinking about what you said in regards to reviews coming late - I'm not sure that's really a fair assessment.

Take the latest "big name" game, Red Dead Redemption. The review for that game came out on GameSpot yesterday, one day after some other sites, however, you have to consider that they put together a video review as well as a written review, which are always released simultaneously. Do any other sites do this? So personally, I think an "extra day" to publish it is certainly acceptable.

For sure - but there are plenty of games that don't make the +1 day compared to other sites. They just seem to have gone off the boil a little in the last year or two.

It seems to have gone down hill at gamespot since that scandal with the favorable reviews for advertisers. But it could be I have just become more interested in IGN these days so gamespot seems to be lacking.

It seems to have gone down hill at gamespot since that scandal with the favorable reviews for advertisers. But it could be I have just become more interested in IGN these days so gamespot seems to be lacking.

That was years ago, and I thought that guy is no longer at GameSpot and actually works for another site now?

That was years ago, and I thought that guy is no longer at GameSpot and actually works for another site now?

I am just saying it seems that way to me. He is actually at IGN now.

I usually don't like game reviews sites. What they need is a user review system I conceptualized a while ago, but no one has done it yet (and I haven't had time to make it). Basically, users write their own review on a game. The twist is (similar to Netflix and iTunes, etc) that for each user, the more reviews you do, the more you're matched up with users, games, and reviews similar to your tastes. They way most sites do it is generally by just a rating system. However, my way matches up by games, users, and ratings.

For example:

User A:

WoW - 9/10

StarCraft II - 8/10

Rise of Nations - 9/10

User B:

WoW - 8/10

StarCraft II - 9/10

User B will find that there are x out of x people that have reviewed games he has played, and games he has liked. Thus, if he's looking for a game that's rated highly by other people that enjoyed the same games as he has, he'll match up with User A and see that, hey, Rise of Nations looks like a game I might like.

It's really easy to do, it's all database dependent. It can be applied to not just games, but books, movies, music, etc. If I only had the time...