Chipset cooling

How would you all recommend I go about actively cooling the chipset on this motherboard? I dont have an air cooler on the processor directly, and Asus says thats the only time you need to actively cool the chipset/MOSFET. I guess I'm thinking I'll zip tie a smaller fan onto the bigger heatsink area that says Xtreme Phase, but if anyone has a better idea I'm all ears :D I'm okay with taking it all apart and getting something proper too. Also, does anyone make waterblocks that cover the whole thing the way that one-piece heatpipe/sink does? Thanks!

P6X58D-P-02.jpg

Well Aside from the Fact that those are fairly large compared to most Heatsinks that come factory with a board you may not need to do anything with them to get a decent if not great OC. But If you get bit with the watercooling bug like I have go ahead and splurge to your hearts content. Do know this, once you WC the chipset it can become a pain to take down the loop on the chipset. If you have the option I would try to use a stud and bolt type set-up that would allow you to loosen a screw and remove the waterblock for ease of removal. My 2 cents.

Edit. Just curious but are you running into an overtemp on the motherboard.

Well, heres the situation I have: my i7 975, right now is running 133MHz x33 = 4.4GHz @ 1.336v, but its not stable under load, with SMT either on or off. Cooler is a Corsair H50, the proc isnt overheating, the case airflow is very solid. I'm guessing that my NB is fine, I dont THINK I'm over-temp on it, however I'd like to be sure that its not the cause of the instability. I'm thinking a small fan somehow secured to the stock heatsink will put my mind at ease. The board and stock heatsink is clearly designed to have some air passing directly over it, since all the fins are aligned towards the processor. The stock Intel heatsink kills two birds with one stone I guess. But yea, basically I just want to be sure that its the chip itself, not anything else, thats the cause of my OC limit.

Well Aside from the Fact that those are fairly large compared to most Heatsinks that come factory with a board...

Large compared to what and where was I?

MSI_P45_Platinum_01.jpg

On topic: I think that a small fan ought to do the job. You might even consider one of those spot fans that they make for this type of situation.

On topic: I think that a small fan ought to do the job. You might even consider one of those spot fans that they make for this type of situation.

I would shy away from small (under 80mm) fans for noise reasons. If that's not a concern then its fine.