Overclocking Possibility with an E8400 & P5Q PRO

Here is my dilemma. I do not want to upgrade to an i5/i7 yet as this involves money to pay for the MB, ram and CPU. All up, around $570 (note: I am a teenager and do not have much of a disposable income). Not to mention the parts that I would replace I could sell but are 1 1/2 years old so would not fetch much.

Instead I am thinking of getting a new CPU fan and overclocking this beasty.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (45nm)

ASUS P5Q PRO

3GB (1 x 2gb + 1x1gb) G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5S-2GBNT

500GB WD Green Caviar 7200rpm

GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH (HD4850 pre-overclocked)

Coolermaster RC 690 Black Case w/3 fans (pre-installed)

Antec NeoPower 650W Blue

A tiny midget in the bottom right corner of the case which orally tells me what the temperatures of the hardware is :)

I'm pretty certain on buying the awe-some Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler unless someone says otherwise.

Firstly, you guys reckon it'll fit? (Note, there is a fan on the case next to the CPU cooler so if the fans are hooked up correctly on the CPU, I shall have 3 fans pushing out air in the one direction.)

Secondly, can the E8400 do 4.0ghz and stay that way for a good 12-18 months with the fan at reasonable temperatures?

I am a bit of a newb at OC'ing, so I'll probs get my mate to come give me a hand or two.

Thanks in advance.

Makka

Here is my dilemma. I do not want to upgrade to an i5/i7 yet as this involves money to pay for the MB, ram and CPU. All up, around $570 (note: I am a teenager and do not have much of a disposable income). Not to mention the parts that I would replace I could sell but are 1 1/2 years old so would not fetch much.

Instead I am thinking of getting a new CPU fan and overclocking this beasty.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (45nm)

ASUS P5Q PRO

3GB (1 x 2gb + 1x1gb) G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5S-2GBNT

500GB WD Green Caviar 7200rpm

GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH (HD4850 pre-overclocked)

Coolermaster RC 690 Black Case w/3 fans (pre-installed)

Antec NeoPower 650W Blue

A tiny midget in the bottom right corner of the case which orally tells me what the temperatures of the hardware is :)

I'm pretty certain on buying the awe-some Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler unless someone says otherwise.

Firstly, you guys reckon it'll fit? (Note, there is a fan on the case next to the CPU cooler so if the fans are hooked up correctly on the CPU, I shall have 3 fans pushing out air in the one direction.)

Secondly, can the E8400 do 4.0ghz and stay that way for a good 12-18 months with the fan at reasonable temperatures?

I am a bit of a newb at OC'ing, so I'll probs get my mate to come give me a hand or two.

Thanks in advance.

Makka

The HSF is pretty decent, megaghalems better, Noctua D14 better still.

Most E8400s should get to 4GHz. Certainly your motherboard is proven.

The case will fit that HSF or a megahalems. Not sure about the d14 but i think so as well. Most Coolermaster cases are fairly wide.

The midget would appreciate a nite light :lol:

E8400 and P5Q (PRO) are GREAT for overclocking. I'm confident that your temps will be decent too.

I myself own a P5Q PRO and it overclocks like a beauty. For the cooler I use Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme and I haven't looked back.

Edited by Flibo

a E8400 is a great clocking chip , and the motherboard also is great , once you get a nice cooling fan (look for the reviews on here) you should be set to go.

Agreed that the Meghalems and D14 are the top of the line for air cooling.

+1... your chip and mobo are a good combo...

I am thinking about the Meghalems now. What is the best fan that I can install with the heatsink?

Need one with great static pressure for megahelems. Its fins are very closely spaced. Im using Noctua NF-P12. I use to have Scythe slipstream fans with sleave bearings but they siezed up within about 8 months. I dont recomend them but the Noctuas have been awesome.

Sorry for the double post but I was reading this: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=71656&st=0&p=695668&hl=how%20to%20overclock%20c2d&fromsearch=1entry695668 and it came to my attention that because of my ram I won't be able to get speeds of 4.0ghz on my processor.

Can someone confirm/deny this? (My ram is 6400/800 running at 5-5-5-15)