New Build (looking for advice)

So basically Dual channel Ram do support triple channel when 3 sticks are used?

but how can rams that support dual channel support triple channel this does not make sense,its like ur telling when u have a single channel ram on a mobo that support dual channel and u add another stick that support single channel it becomes dual channel ,i dont think this is true. dual channel dont become triple,i may be wrong since i dont use x58 or p55 or ddr3

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1st of all The Apogee XT is a better block. 2 of the top 3 are Apogee XT and Heatkiller 3.0.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9767/ex-...&OVNDID=ND1

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/heatkiller1366.html

I would not worry about cooling the northbridge. It is more for show unless you plan on Extreme overclocking. I easily hit 4.2 and got 4.47GHz stable with no NB cooling. Just get a 90mm fam and mod it blowing on NB heatsink. IMO the UD7 is a waste of $. The UD3R overclocks as good as any board out there and I would recommend the 930 as I have it and will attest it rocks. The UD3R has 2 x 16x PCI slots so your good to go if you elect 2 x 5850's.

As far as GPU, get the Powercolor 5870 eyefinity. It is $499 and 2 x 5850 will not be much better. They Eyefinity is 2G memory and has firewire ports with HDMI adapters and I feel it is a way better card. The Eyefinity supports up to 5 monitors and it makes the most sense with the money you are spending. You can run 3 monitors at hi res with this card. It is nice.

As far as memory, just like mentioned above get 2G x 4 sticks and run dual channel. It will be very good and if you want to add another 2 sticks in the future, you may. Just get the same brand and model. As long as the sticks are matched n the channel you are good to go.

Edited by Drdeath

I'm sure if he isn't worried about extreme OC'ing any swiftech block would be fine..

i wouldn't just call out the n/b cooling, as every board performs different

if you want compatibility, just get a 920, i haven't seen the average 930 OC really much higer than the 920, especially once again if your not going to take it to crazy levels

There's folks selling the i7 920 d0 for $205 (me and someone else). I'll be selling mine at $170 once the i7 970's become available. The only advantage to i7 930's is an extra multiplier, and lower voltage overclocks. For instance, if I had an i7 930, I'd probably reach 4.1 GHz w/HT at 1.28Vcore rather than 1.35V.

There's folks selling the i7 920 d0 for $205 (me and someone else). I'll be selling mine at $170 once the i7 970's become available. The only advantage to i7 930's is an extra multiplier, and lower voltage overclocks. For instance, if I had an i7 930, I'd probably reach 4.1 GHz w/HT at 1.28Vcore rather than 1.35V.

Microcenter has 930 which all are D0 steppings for $199(New not used). I am at 4.3Ghz with 1.375v. with my 930. 4.47Ghz required 1.41V stable(HT enabled on both).

Edited by Drdeath

I'm sure if he isn't worried about extreme OC'ing any swiftech block would be fine..

i wouldn't just call out the n/b cooling, as every board performs different

if you want compatibility, just get a 920, i haven't seen the average 930 OC really much higer than the 920, especially once again if your not going to take it to crazy levels

Extreme or not Apogee GT is a better block for $20 difference.

Microcenter has 930 which all are D0 steppings for $199(New not used). I am at 4.3Ghz with 1.375v. with my 930. 4.47Ghz required 1.41V stable(HT enabled on both).

Not everyone has access to MicroCenter (I live 5 miles from one). If someone does have access to MicroCenter, then obviously it's not a good deal. I'm still loathe to part with my i7 920 for $170. I can probably sell my MSI NF750-G55 + Phenom II x3 720 BE for $170 and buy myself another x58 motherboard and use that as my 2nd system... though I like having an AMD system around for some reason.

Those that only have Newegg as a place to buy their CPU, $205 is much better than $279, even if used. At $170, it'd be a steal. At least the buyer knows the batch number and overclocking/voltage potential if buying from someone here.

1st of all The Apogee XT is a better block. 2 of the top 3 are Apogee XT and Heatkiller 3.0.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9767/ex-...&OVNDID=ND1

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/heatkiller1366.html

I would not worry about cooling the northbridge. It is more for show unless you plan on Extreme overclocking. I easily hit 4.2 and got 4.47GHz stable with no NB cooling. Just get a 90mm fam and mod it blowing on NB heatsink. IMO the UD7 is a waste of $. The UD3R overclocks as good as any board out there and I would recommend the 930 as I have it and will attest it rocks. The UD3R has 2 x 16x PCI slots so your good to go if you elect 2 x 5850's.

As far as GPU, get the Powercolor 5870 eyefinity. It is $499 and 2 x 5850 will not be much better. They Eyefinity is 2G memory and has firewire ports with HDMI adapters and I feel it is a way better card. The Eyefinity supports up to 5 monitors and it makes the most sense with the money you are spending. You can run 3 monitors at hi res with this card. It is nice.

As far as memory, just like mentioned above get 2G x 4 sticks and run dual channel. It will be very good and if you want to add another 2 sticks in the future, you may. Just get the same brand and model. As long as the sticks are matched n the channel you are good to go.

thanks for the advice on the 5870 card. i'll check some reviews

The only advantage to i7 930's is an extra multiplier,

:) You can also get the x21 multiplier on a 920 via a BIOS switch - just enable intel turbo mode once and the x21 multiplier becomes available :)

The $199 i7 930 @ MC is an outstanding deal, in fact I cringed yesterday when I saw it....... But like you've said, not everyone lives within driving distance of a microcenter. Plus you still have to figure sales tax. I can't post an OBO in the FSorT thread, but my price is negotiable :)

Now - onto the subject of the 930 versus the 920. The 930 is a speed binned 920 - nothing more and nothing less. Same silicon, same chip, same manufacturing plant etc. Intel just sees all of these 920s clocking to 3.6 to 4.0Ghz without even breaking a sweat and they see a chance to capitalize on it by binning and charging an extra 20 or 25 bucks for a 930.

:) You can also get the x21 multiplier on a 920 via a BIOS switch - just enable intel turbo mode once and the x21 multiplier becomes available :)

The $199 i7 930 @ MC is an outstanding deal, in fact I cringed yesterday when I saw it....... But like you've said, not everyone lives within driving distance of a microcenter. Plus you still have to figure sales tax. I can't post an OBO in the FSorT thread, but my price is negotiable :)

Now - onto the subject of the 930 versus the 920. The 930 is a speed binned 920 - nothing more and nothing less. Same silicon, same chip, same manufacturing plant etc. Intel just sees all of these 920s clocking to 3.6 to 4.0Ghz without even breaking a sweat and they see a chance to capitalize on it by binning and charging an extra 20 or 25 bucks for a 930.

I thought the i7 930 had a x22 multiplier for it?

Not everyone has access to MicroCenter (I live 5 miles from one). If someone does have access to MicroCenter, then obviously it's not a good deal. I'm still loathe to part with my i7 920 for $170. I can probably sell my MSI NF750-G55 + Phenom II x3 720 BE for $170 and buy myself another x58 motherboard and use that as my 2nd system... though I like having an AMD system around for some reason.

Those that only have Newegg as a place to buy their CPU, $205 is much better than $279, even if used. At $170, it'd be a steal. At least the buyer knows the batch number and overclocking/voltage potential if buying from someone here.

if I had no microcenter by me, I would have someone buy it and ship it for a measly $10-15. Case closed on no Microcenter :thumbs-up: