LGA775 build

fcguy

So I'm in the process of building a new PC. So far I've amassed an EVGA 790i FTW edition mobo, a QX9650 CPU, antec 900 case, twin 120mm fan radiator, and LGA 775 cooling block.

Now I'm on the hunt for very good deal new parts or used parts. This is somewhat of a budget build. I'm hoping everyone has some suggestions on what parts to search for/buy new. I'm not asking you go out and find examples (although that would be nice) ... I'm just wondering what you guys would think would be good parts to look for used ... or what great deals are available new.

First the video card. I'm looking for only one right now but I'd possibly go SLi in the future. What this means is I'm looking for a card that sold well and their are a lot on the market (IE i can pick up another one months down the road if I want more performance). I plan on overclocking the processor and maybe the video as well. Being that the cpu will be water cooled I'm more ept to hit it hard... the video card... no so much. Maybe I'd water cool it if blocks are still commonly available

As far as memory, I'm looking again for a good deal new or used. Somthing that will take well to the board and overclocking of the cpu. Follow the link above for memory standards of the motherboard (DDR3 2000 dual channel)

Finally, the PSU. again... either very good deal new or just a used one. Looking for a power range that could support water cooling, over clocking, and twin video cards. Modular is highly desirable.

1. How come you're doing an LGA775 build? Why not 1156 or 1366? I'm not saying "under no circumstances should you do this build," I'm just asking why not use newer things?

2. NVIDIA's chipsets are pretty "iffy" from what I've seen and heard. Why not use an X48 board?

3. For a video card, don't use something old like an 8800GT. If you want NVIDIA, why not a GTX470 with DX11 support or at least a GTS250 (if you're going the more budget route). For bang for the buck, though, I'd go with ATI (maybe a 5770 for budget or a 5850 or better if cost isn't a concern).

Unless, that is, you mean you've already got all the parts. In which case both of these questions are rendered invalid.

Edited by Miek

1. How come you're doing an LGA775 build? Why not 1156 or 1366? I'm not saying "under no circumstances should you do this build," I'm just asking why not use newer things?

2. NVIDIA's chipsets are pretty "iffy" from what I've seen and heard. Why not use an X48 board?

3. For a video card, don't use something old like an 8800GT. If you want NVIDIA, why not a GTX470 with DX11 support or at least a GTS250 (if you're going the more budget route). For bang for the buck, though, I'd go with ATI (maybe a 5770 for budget or a 5850 or better if cost isn't a concern).

Unless, that is, you mean you've already got all the parts. In which case both of these questions are rendered invalid.

+1.

@ OP: I hope you didn't pay hundreds of bucks for your Extreme Edition CPU because it will get pwned by a $185 Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, a $200 i5-750 or anything better.

build an AMD phenomII system it will be cheaper and faster than an LGA775 build.

well it sounds like he already has the Mb and cpu and as for going gtx 470 that isnt good for a budget build and dx11 isnt essintial it will be along time until games will be dx11 only.

If your staying with nvidia Id go for a gtx 260 or better the 8800gt's are good cards and very cheap at the moment but havnt realy got the legs these days (depending on what resolution your going to run).

Edited by punkishbloke

quick and dirty... where one goes up it would be nice if another went down.

well pretty much all of them... 100-150 each. I'd prefer 4 gb (2x2) of mem that takes well to big cpu overclocking.

So that's mem, vid card, and PSU for 100-150 each.

I'm sure I'll get some "don't buy cheap stuff, go for the gold" comments, but a college kid throwing a system together from scrounged parts doesn't quite mesh with that idea.

PSU I'm looking at. Reviews seem fairly good, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182188

So that leaves memory (prob new... but I'm not afraid of used), and a videocard (or two if they price is good and right)[prob used]

quick and dirty... where one goes up it would be nice if another went down.

well pretty much all of them... 100-150 each. I'd prefer 4 gb (2x2) of mem that takes well to big cpu overclocking.

So that's mem, vid card, and PSU for 100-150 each.

I'm sure I'll get some "don't buy cheap stuff, go for the gold" comments, but a college kid throwing a system together from scrounged parts doesn't quite mesh with that idea.

PSU I'm looking at. Reviews seem fairly good, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182188

So that leaves memory (prob new... but I'm not afraid of used), and a videocard (or two if they price is good and right)[prob used]

Not to sure about that psu never heard of "rosewill" what about

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139013

If your wanting to spend under 150 on a nvidia gfx card id have to go for a gts 250 1gb newegg has one for $129.99 which aint to bad at all but i realy would try to stretch to a gtx 260 its well worth the extra cash.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...3-266-_-Product

Don't go with Rosewill PSU whatever you do. Its Newegg's own brand and a very cheap one at that. If you need a PSU for 100-150, go with something from Corsair, Seventeam, Thermaltake, or Silverstone.

Don't go with Rosewill PSU whatever you do. Its Newegg's own brand and a very cheap one at that. If you need a PSU for 100-150, go with something from Corsair, Seventeam, Thermaltake, or Silverstone.

I literally said out-loud someone will instantly say no to the PSU. It's has good stats... and good reviews... and a 3 year warranty. I see nothing wrong with it.