Noctua NH-D14 or Swiftech h20-220 APEX ULTIMA

Well, Sidewinder Computers was closed until the 17th of this month, so my original order didn't process. This gives me more time to think about what I should get.

1. Noctua NH-D14 - Air Cooling, costs $86.95 with free shipping at Amazon.

2. Swiftech h20-220 APEX ULTIMA - Liquid Cooling, costs $245.24 (shipping included) at Sidewinder Computers.

While I'm okay with my CNPS 9700 nt, it's not as great a cooler as the Noctua NH-D14. For normal development/testing applications, I move it to 4.1 GHz, but if I'm just trying to see how high of an overclock I can get with full load tests, I won't even want to try that at over 3.8 GHz since my i7 920 d0 isn't as great as other d0's out there as far as running at lower voltages. Plus, I still have two Phenom II x3 720 BE AM3 systems still using the stock heatsink, so I can use the CNPS 9700 nt for one of them.

I've often wanted to try liquid cooling, but I've always been a "budget" overclocker and not an "enthusiast" (well, more like a "budget enthusiast" now), so it'd be nice to see what I can do with my first set-up before customizing it in the future to play around with it.

Since my plan is to get the i7 970 when it comes out sometime in Q3, I figure I might as well provide a better cooling solution since the price will be twice as high as the i7 930.

While I haven't been doing a lot of video encoding lately, I plan on doing quite a bit after my trip to South Africa. :)

Any thoughts on whether I should just stick with air cooling? I just don't see my system utilizing all the cores except for when I run a couple of VM's, but that's mostly just a memory hog rather than a CPU hog.

The D14 is supposed to be amazing. You have to realize that with a water pump and even with quiet fans it will be noticeably louder than the D14.

If you are absolutely obsessed with temps and overclocking go with the the liquid cooling but I would consider the D14 to be enthusiast grade cooling as well.

The D14 is supposed to be amazing. You have to realize that with a water pump and even with quiet fans it will be noticeably louder than the D14.

If you are absolutely obsessed with temps and overclocking go with the the liquid cooling but I would consider the D14 to be enthusiast grade cooling as well.

Gotta agree. D14 is great air cooling and seems a bit of a waste to spend $150 plus extra bucks when a D14 will easily handle what you are planning to do with it.

WORLD CUP!!!

A3 vs A4 (6/11/10 Cape Town) is Uruguay v France

E4 vs E1 (6/24/10 Cape Town) Cameroon v Netherlands

G4 vs G1 (6/25/10 Durban) Portugal vs. Brazil

1E vs 2F (6/28/10 Durban) winner of group E (Cameroon, Netherlands, Denmark, Japan) vs 2nd place group F (Italy, Paraguay,New Zealand, Slovakia)

The Portugal vs. Brazil game's going to be awesome!

Plus, going to put my head in a lion's mouth, paint some zebra's brown, and feed some hungry, hungry, hippos.

WORLD CUP!!!

A3 vs A4 (6/11/10 Cape Town) is Uruguay v France

E4 vs E1 (6/24/10 Cape Town) Cameroon v Netherlands

G4 vs G1 (6/25/10 Durban) Portugal vs. Brazil

1E vs 2F (6/28/10 Durban) winner of group E (Cameroon, Netherlands, Denmark, Japan) vs 2nd place group F (Italy, Paraguay,New Zealand, Slovakia)

The Portugal vs. Brazil game's going to be awesome!

Plus, going to put my head in a lion's mouth, paint some zebra's brown, and feed some hungry, hungry, hippos.

Ugh. I hate you. Take me with you and you can have my computer and my first born child, AND I'll set up a custom water cooling loop for you?!?!