Playstation 3 help

greengiant912

Alright so I was going to watch a movie from netflix tonight, so I put it in the PS3, needless to say the disk wont read...

So I though alright might be a bad disk from netflix, so I go get one of my blu-ray movies to test it... It dosn't load either...

So maybe theres something wrong with Blu-ray, I grab a game and put it in, the game wont load...

When I put in the first disk I might of pushed a little too hard and I am thinking it might of messed something up...

I have new PS3 Slim...

You do know that PS3 games are put on Blu-ray Discs, right?

Anyway, if it's new then I'm guessing it's still under warranty? First thing I would do is get a hold of sony customer support and describe the situation in a manner that doesn't tell them that I might have broke it with a disc, if they can't come up with any answers then send it in maybe? Not sure what else can be done, sounds like the drive is broke to me.

You didn't update to the latest software, did you?

http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/26414/

I did, only after I noticed that I was having problems with the drive...

I tried reverting to the original settings but have avoided doing a full system restore as I can't backup the device due to the fact that none of my external hard drives will work with it :-\...

I had just received my ps3 back from being repaired by scea today(for this exact same problem) and within 30 minutes of upgrading to 3.21, it no longer read any disc. It got to the point that it would not even load a disc. I am going to see if I can revert to 3.15.

edit: sending it back to be repaired for the problem they had already supposedly repaired. At least it will be at no charge to me.

Edited by mr._blue_sky

The bad thing about this new update(for me) is that I bought the PS3 to specifically use the PSN and play online with my cousins, and others. This meant that I had to complete the update in order to keep using is as I always had.

I should have guessed that this was going to happen to me. It happened also when I updated to 3.15. I have the XXXXE-01 80GB model. My guess is that I have just had a run of some horrible luck. I already sent it to Sony, although I have to say that they aren't the most careful with the PS3, as the bottom came scratched up a bit( was in mint condition before). Pissed me off, but since I didn't take pictures of it before, I have no way to prove to them that it didn't already get sent to them like that. Like I said before, I may just be having a run of some horrible luck.

I had tried every option on the recovery mode screen, and none of them helped either time that my PS3 failed. I think I got a lemon.

Edited by mr._blue_sky

• 2 weeks later...

little update:

seems I somehow got a lemon when I got my backwards compatible ps3(bought it new). Every update done since 3.15 has caused a failure of the bluray drive and control board. I have sent it to get repaired by sony 3 times, each time it fails after I update. This final time(just sent it in) it seems that they believe something else is screwy with my ps3, so they are going to swap it for a refurbished model PS3(will be the exact same model ps3 I am told). Hopefully this time it will work perfectly fine for a very long time, although it sucks that it took so long to finally get it resolved(about a month of back and forth shipping), but I will be very happy when I finally can play my ps3 again.