Tim Consultant's T-C Grease 0098 and OCZ Freeze

After reading this review: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...38&Itemid=1

I went ahead and purchased 3 orders of Tim Consultant's T-C Grease 0098: 2.5g Syringe and 2 orders of OCZ Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound 3 grams.

What's great about the Tim Consultant's is that I ordered it on a Saturday, and I received it on a Monday through USPS. Crazy quick!

So... I was curious to see how cooling temps did compared to what I usually use: Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Cooling MX-2.

Well... I never got to getting the Tim Consultant's T-C Grease 0098 on my CPU and GPU. Spreading it around more didn't make it more viscous, but more like thick silly putty. I used up a whole syringe and couldn't get an even layer using the plastic edge method (like the edge of a credit card) or the heatsink pressure method (twisting the heatsink and the weight of it to spread the grease around, though it doesn't get the corners).

OCZ Freeze was much easier to apply, but still took some time.

My CPU temps went down by 1C (from my previous Arctic Silver 5 application) and my GPU went down by 4C! It only took an hour of work, and it wasn't worth it, but it at least satiated my curiosity.

I love the MX-2, while it isn't the best, it's so easy to apply. Probably takes me 2 minutes to apply it on my CPU. Arctic Silver 5 as well - but I dislike the 200 hours of curing time, like anyone really ever waits that long). However, OCZ Freeze wins in the cooling contest by 1 whopping degree, and Tim Consultant's, even though I couldn't find the best way to apply it, they sure delivered their product fast! I still have 2 syringes left to figure it out.

Edited by El_Capitan

If the TC stuff is anything like the Tuniq TX3 (it's got the consistency of play dough) you might want to use a rolling pin method, just use a cylinder and roll the putty into a thick enough layer across the CPU. It still takes time like 15 minutes or so but it was the only way that worked for me.

Other suggestions are here in this thread I made about the TX3 application.

I have since changed from the tx3 to the mx3, and it's been a lot better. Dropped 3 degrees, and was on there in no time, no rolling pins/credit cards/plastic bags. Just two tiny lines (core contact heat sink with exposed heatpipes) and the pressure from the heatsink.

Edited by PruritusAni

Interesting. I should try the mx3 next time... but I've got a lot of thermal compound to last me a while. When you guys use the two line method, do you still twist the heatsink to spread it around a bit, or just plop it down and start tightening the screws to the backplane?

Interesting. I should try the mx3 next time... but I've got a lot of thermal compound to last me a while. When you guys use the two line method, do you still twist the heatsink to spread it around a bit, or just plop it down and start tightening the screws to the backplane?

I dont twist, I just plop the sink down and it does all the work.

I also got the TIM Consultants grease but didn't have any trouble applying evenly. I put a dot in the middle, ripped off some spare plastic from one of the accessory bags I had laying around, and spread it out from the center by stretching my finger into the plastic and pulling it across the TIM until I had an even layer. It took maybe 5 minutes. This method works for AS5 as well. I'll be picking up another syringe when I'm ready to upgrade my system.