Overclocking on air

I'm getting an i7 930, and would like to overclock it. I have a few questions:

1) What should be my target overclock? I was thinking somewhere between 3.2 - 3.8, figuring anything above that would be overkill. Does my opinion have any truth in it?

2) Whats the best bang for buck CPU cooler for the above target overclock?

3) What temperature is too high? Keeping in mind I want this CPU to run properly for a couple of years, what should be the maximum temperature this CPU will be allowed to reach?

Thanks a bunch!

That target oc is vary reachable. and for bang for buck would be the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103065

Try to keep the temps below 70. If you do hit 100c it will automatically throttle down. But please keep it as far away from that as possible.

Plus try to keep the voltage below 1.4

Get a case with good ventilation

What power supply do you plan on getting? And what graphics card will you run?

Edited by OwinC

That target oc is vary reachable. and for bang for buck would be the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103065

Try to keep the temps below 70. If you do hit 100c it will automatically throttle down. But please keep it as far away from that as possible.

Plus try to keep the voltage below 1.4

Get a case with good ventilation

What power supply do you plan on getting? And what graphics card will you run?

Thanks for the quick reply! Check out my thread over here, I have my entire system listed.

Edited by Soulicro

A great contender for the value category of coolers is the Scythe Mugen-2. It can mount two fans, but handles itself well with one. I've seen several reviews where it outperforms coolers that cost twice as much (especially with a push/pull two fan config).

The Prolimatech Megahalems is a very good push pull cooler, a bit high but a good cooler.

My 920 is at 4.05mhz with vcore 1.26 and temps get just above 70c during stress testing.

Just remember the room temp has a big affect ion the cpu temps.

Edited by dling

I had an i7 920 for a while. I had it OC'd to 3.67 ghz and I was happy with that. I know no one really likes the cooler I used, the Cooler Master V10. I wouldn't recommend it, but I personally liked it, it kept the CPU cool for me, and it kept my ram chilled too. Obviously there's much better coolers, and much better performance to cost ratio. I've used the TRUE 120 Xtreme black on my Core 2 Quad Q6600 and overclocked that cpu from 2.4 to 3.44 ghz and still had a cool 40c idle and around 55c under load. Granted on that cooler I had two Ultra Kaze fans in a push - pull setup.

As anyone will tell ya, every chip is different in regards to how it will overclock.A lot also has to do with a solid high quality board and power supply. I just got lucky with that chip and had one with a need for speed :-p Just take your time overclocking and stability testing to where you get the lowest vcore but yet still stable. That was the hardest part when I overclocked my i7 920. I could get it pretty stable at a high OC but it was taking too much vcore to be stable and resulted in way too much heat.

I made it a goal to never let mine get over 60c.

@SebringTech - Thanks for the informative post, I appreciate it.

@Everyone - A lot of people I've talked to are suggesting the Hyper 212+, a lot are suggesting Noctua/Megahalems/TRUE/Vanomous X. From what I could find, the best cooler out the box is the NH-D14 - only thing is, this thing is beast. I've googled around but couldn't find an answer - does anybody know if it will fit in my rig?

HAF 932, Asus P6X58D, Corsair Dominator and Sapphire Vapor-X 5870. By searching I already know that I'll have to mount it vertically, I just dont know if it will hit anything on my board while vertical.

Edited by Soulicro