which would be better for OCing

fcguy

Which processor would be better to OC (on water).

E8600

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel...70E8600%29.html

OR

840 EE SL8FK

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_Extr...PG3200F%29.html

board and other hardware is still TBA so I know the answer cant be more dead on but I thought I'd look for some opinions.

Thanks!

the 840 EE SL8FK would be a better overclocker (maybe, based on the the info I really don't know from reviews, the multiplier would help some), but the e8600 would be faster because of added instructions and better architecture

The E8600 can hit almost 5ghz on air with the right combo of parts. A solid motherboard with alot of caps and phases in the processor department would be a good start. That 840 is junk compared to the E8600.

The E8600 can hit almost 5ghz on air with the right combo of parts. A solid motherboard with alot of caps and phases in the processor department would be a good start. That 840 is junk compared to the E8600.

Depends on what you want to do with it. Quad core isn't much of an advantage if gaming is what you are into as few games take advantage of Quad core. The 840 has hyper threading and that can cause more heat so could be an issue for overclocking.

I don't know the 840 for overclocking but the Core2Duos E8400, E8500, E8600 CPUs are amazing overclockers that generate heat that is more than manageable with decent HSF. My E8500 hits 50-52 C in prime 95 with my HSF (see Sig) and run 24x7 at well over 4GHz and I think I should get 4.5GHZ with a little more effort. Heat is not my issue rather just getting the voltages right.

I agree with Hedghawg71, with decent HSF and fans/case and mobo you should be able to push over 4.5GHz. That makes it really great value. :rolleyes: