Watercooling Help

TheMumm

Alright, so with Fermi out and my debt nearly gone, It's time to blow some cash.

I'm looking to get (for starts) 1 GTX 480, and a second one later this year, but I've read that these bad boys run hot. Really hot. So I figure that I'll just get a watercooling system to resolve this issue.

I'm running a Dell XPS 720 H2C (so the processor won't be needing a waterblock), but I do want to get a solid water cooling system going for the 480s. Essentially, I want some scalability with the kit, so I can just have the one card with the block on it and be able to add a second one later on down the line.

I have no Idea where to start. It's super hard to find a solid guide to setup a system like this, what plugs into what, and what I'll need.

I've read the sticky, which was helpful in choosing brands, but I don't know what components I'll need or should get. Pump, Resovoir, t-line, I have not a clue what these things do, or when to use them. Whats' the basic setup for a water cooling system?

Alright, so with Fermi out and my debt nearly gone, It's time to blow some cash.

I'm looking to get (for starts) 1 GTX 480, and a second one later this year, but I've read that these bad boys run hot. Really hot. So I figure that I'll just get a watercooling system to resolve this issue.

I'm running a Dell XPS 720 H2C (so the processor won't be needing a waterblock), but I do want to get a solid water cooling system going for the 480s. Essentially, I want some scalability with the kit, so I can just have the one card with the block on it and be able to add a second one later on down the line.

I have no Idea where to start. It's super hard to find a solid guide to setup a system like this, what plugs into what, and what I'll need.

I've read the sticky, which was helpful in choosing brands, but I don't know what components I'll need or should get. Pump, Resovoir, t-line, I have not a clue what these things do, or when to use them. Whats' the basic setup for a water cooling system?

Waterblock, tubing, radiator, pump. Basic water cooling system. T-line (IMO ONLY) is better. I found it much easier to bleed. Reservoir, works just as well, it just depends what you prefer.

I found swiftech parts suited my needs, but I haven't looked at water cooling parts in a couple years, let alone what a 480 is. But a basic system are those 4 parts.

You'll need a radiator, pump, water block(s) and res or t-line. Reservoir or t-line needed for filling, priming pump and bleeding - or you could get a radiator that has a built in reservoir and forget the t-line and external res altogether.

Dont forget tubing and clamps. My loops go like this;

pump > waterblock(s) > radiator > reservoir > pump

Not sure about the heat output on the 480s whether you go a single 120 or dual/triple 120 will depend a lot on that.

If you want total simplicity Swiftech recently released their drive series radiators that combine radiator/pump/reservoir into one unit. I've got one arriving today and I'll keep everyone posted on performance. This will be replacing a custom loop with a MCP655 pump so we will see whether it passes muster or not.

I really don't think blocks are made yet to cover the GTX 480. You might have to wait a few months for that block to become available for purchase.

Most full cover GPU blocks will allow you to easily join together two blocks by just adding tubing and changing a few fittings on the blocks.

The hardest part in doing this would be finding out the size of your current hoses and barbs. I have no idea what dell uses for their water cooling set ups.

A t-line is just a 3 way barb that can be used to connect two hoses into one. The third barb can be used as a fill port and or drain port.

I suggest going to danger dens website and try building a kit. Just to get more familiar with all the components you'll need.

Then don't be afraid to look at pics of other user's set ups. I know I did a lot of that before I built my first loop.

coolit is also already makin' one too.

going through danger den isn't very cheap and alot of their stuff relies on all plexi, not everyone is comfortable with that

alot of the parts can be ordered through the manufacter's websites