Higher vcore more unstable

dling

Have any of you had this problem ? My computer becomes unstable for some reason

so I increase the vcore and it becomes more unstable :blink: . The higher I set it the worse it becomes.

I dont under stand this. Its at 1.275 to begin with and reads 1.6 using one of the asus tool. I move it to up

in the bios and it just starts crashing, more I add the worse it gets. :(

Edited by dling

What kind of temps do you have? It sounds to me like maybe your temps might be just over the edge, and when you increase volts it's generating more heat and increasing your stability problems.

Edit: Try backing down your voltage a bit below your current setting and see if that helps.

Edited by Scottike

I don't think Its a temp problem . It just not stable in windows.

It should become more stable with higher vcore not less. Just booting into windows

and surfing the web it would crash. I am currently at 1.275v again but if I start having stability

issues raising the vcore should make it better not worse. :blink:

True, If it's not a temp problem. If it is a temp problem it could make things worse. your 40c idle looks ok, but can you run long enough to get some load temps? Those wil tell the story.

I assume you've run Memtest+ so you know your memory is ok. If not, try backing off your memory speed to 1066 and see if that helps. If your mem isn't stable that could cause your stablilty problems too. I'm more of an AMD guy so I'm on unfamilar ground with I7s. Maybe an Intel guy could chime in here?

"I assume you've run Memtest+ so you know your memory is ok."

No I had not . Just ran it a stock speeds and it locks up at 7%. What you think the problem would be

for that to happen ?

OK,I tried different version of memtest and its running fine . Its at 48% using the memory setting

on XMP in bios. It tried it a the oc'ed settting and was getting errors. WOW it takes a long time to run.

ASUS auto tool is the devil. if you use that auto for your voltages I wouldn't be suprised it went up to 1.6

it was trying to give my CPU 1.6v for 3.8GHZ

BTW my CPU starts actin' funny after 1.475v, you might just be at your chips limit.

what are you complete settings if you have a second :)

Remember when you overvolt your RAM that controller is in the CPU now,

be careful, im sure if asus autovolt goes from 1.18-1.6v i'd be careful its auto's

(im using the rampage II gene)

OK,I tried different version of memtest and its running fine . Its at 48% using the memory setting

on XMP in bios. It tried it a the oc'ed settting and was getting errors. WOW it takes a long time to run.

I had to turn XMP off when I started oc'ing my i7-920, I think I did manage to get it somewhat stable at 180x19 with the XMP profile on and the memory multiplyer on 8, but it wouldnt push any further no matter what I pushed the voltage to.. after turning it off and loosing the timings a bit to 8,8,8,20 (1600mhz) I was able to push up to a 200x19 with no problems..

1.4 on the core and 1.34 on qpi.. (my C0 requires a bit-o-juice to oc...and to think I had to up to 200x21 but the voltage I needed was a bit more then I was confortable running 24/7 I'm running a new bios ver now so will see what happens :) )

ASUS auto tool is the devil. if you use that auto for your voltages I wouldn't be suprised it went up to 1.6

it was trying to give my CPU 1.6v for 3.8GHZ

BTW my CPU starts actin' funny after 1.475v, you might just be at your chips limit.

what are you complete settings if you have a second :)

Remember when you overvolt your RAM that controller is in the CPU now,

be careful, im sure if asus autovolt goes from 1.18-1.6v i'd be careful its auto's

(im using the rampage II gene)

I will give those setting in a moment. Thanks

OK ,I'm back. Been mowing the yard and doing some work on little reef aquarium.

These setting are not exact but very close.

cpu ratio setting-20

bclk-200

uclk-auto

qpi freq-auto

vcore-1.275

cpu pll-1.8

qpi/dram-1.35

ioh vol-1.1

ioh pcie vol-1.5

ich vol-1.1

ich pcie-1.5

dram vol-1.66

cpu load line cal-enabled

these are not the setting I'm testing right now.

But as I said they are basically the one I was running.