AS5 vs OCZ Freeze

Does AS5 break down over time and become less efficient? I bought a tube in June of 06 and I just used the last bit of it on my Gpu a few weeks back, so I bought some OCZ freeze and reapplied it to my gpu and it lowered my load temp about 30 degrees! :O My GPU used to run at about 100-105 and now its chugging along at about 72. I might have to apply some to my cpu and see if it lowers my temps any.

I think that nothing lasts forever, but thermal paste tend to last quite awhile. However, I believe that most people tend to clean out and reapply thermal paste almost every 2 months. AS5 tends to take forever to properly cure.... 200 hrs on thermal cycles, which is a pain to get the optimal performance out of it. OCZ freeze is decent, but I don't think it quite beats AS5 in terms of thermal performance over OCZ freeze. However, I found this awhile back and you should take a good look at it.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...p;limitstart=12

It should show where your thermal paste stands at and if you want a better thermal paste for future use, this would be a good place to look.

OCZ Freeze is actually really good imo, it spread extremely easily compared to as5 and provides temps that are usually lower than as5, least in my experience :)

Also, keep in mind that some GPUs (especially the 4870x2 <from experience>) has larger gaps between the cooler and the component-that-needs-cooling, so applying thermal paste usually isn't the best idea, thermal pads are... though I have no experience with a 4890 or an 8800GTS, so I'm not sure how the cooling contact is.

And yes, I am a huge fan of OCZ Freeze, since here in FL all we have is Compusa / Tigerdirect, and that's the best stuff they carry in stock, and it does a hell of a good job at a pretty low price ^^

I like using AS5 as it does a good job despite its curing time. I found the key to AS5 success is proper application: tiny, thin line down the middle of the processor about 2/3 of the processor's height in length, spread by the heatsink. Unfortunately one has to repeat applications every half a year to a year as the interface deteriorates over time.

yes Artic Silver 5 dries out over time....

everytime I have applied it...I had to re-do it 6 months later...I stopped using it 2 years ago just for that reason...

And what paste/grease do you use now? I may be getting tired of the reapplication process as well. Did anyone try out the MX-3, how does that stack up?

I like the OCZ freeze as well...

but lately I've been using the "White" stuff from Thermalright...works very well and temps arent an issue on stock builds...for overclocking I definitely use the better stuff...

I used the Zalman grease for a while...that stuff dries up too...

I actually looked at the 80 way Thermal Interface Performance test. And from that I concluded that hey it has to be good its slightly cheaper than AS5 and it performs just as well. Idk about you but there is gonna be no difference in performance of my cpu or gpu. Did you actually see the difference in temps AS5 was at 37.55 and OCZ Freeze was at 38.10 seriously is ~.6 degrees gonna make that big of a difference.

Edited by slick2500

correct and if its not 5c or more i dont even worry about it....

there are MANY times I test stuff with NO TIM at all...

in all of my test TIM only made a 1c difference with or without it...

I actually looked at the 80 way Thermal Interface Performance test. And from that I concluded that hey it has to be good its slightly cheaper than AS5 and it performs just as well. Idk about you but there is gonna be no difference in performance of my cpu or gpu. Did you actually see the difference in temps AS5 was at 37.55 and OCZ Freeze was at 38.10 seriously is ~.6 degrees gonna make that big of a difference.

Yeah, I read that both proved to do pretty well. When it comes down to using TIMs, the differences are fairly minor. I have Arctic Cooling NX-2 which is easier to apply and has no curing time, unlike the AS5. I still used the AS5 though, because I am not doing lots of processor swapping like the more hardcore guys who does play around with OCs, so I can get it cure 200 hrs easily. Little performance difference and that is fine. I am just glad you read up on the guide. :)

Edited by Finalheaven

yes Artic Silver 5 dries out over time....

everytime I have applied it...I had to re-do it 6 months later...I stopped using it 2 years ago just for that reason...

When i got my new heatsink, i grabbed a ancient tube of AS5 i have..

i dind't even notice the look of it seemed kind of off but i didn't give it any attention

now i want to see the thermal paste that came with it, and how that performs..