thermal compound spread method

What spread method do you use before placing the heatsink on the cpu? I just recently switched to the Noctua D-14 from the megahalems. At this point and time it's not doing so well. Im getting and idle temp of 51 compared to the prolimatechs 39 idle. Load is ridiculously too high as well. I was able to pass OCCT before but now it cancels with CPU too hot. Should i mount it vertically? atm im running on 1.28vcore 4.2ghz. FYI i used a Pea size of compound dead center or at least what i thought was pea size. :(

2010022812h01cpu1.png

this is the build... http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=173001

A pea sized dab is way too much! I use a dab the size of a BB.

Edit: If your pull your HSF and there's a bunch of excess compound around the perimeter of your processor or HSF you used too much.

Edited by Scottike

well look with thermal compound less is more. you obviously want as little of it as possible (about 2 grains of cooked rice) because more actually does the opposite.

I myself was unsure how to apply to my i7 920 (I saw several methods

) and I've tried several (taken off and looked and reapplied after wiping with paper towel and alcohol). I've found that the line method (recommended by Arctic Silver themselves) works very well but can spread outside of the CPU and onto the mobo if put too close to the edge. Just wipe off the excess. the center grain method works alright, but might not cover everything. if you really want to get serious, consider lapping. BUT DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AS IT IS NOT FOR N00BS AND WILL VOID WARRANTY. not something taken lightly and not for us mortals. results are awesome, though, if done right.

p.s. in retrospect I should've bought the Noctua compound instead of the Arctic Silver because it has no "break-in/burn in" period and conducts better. try it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...rmal%20compound (oh and you have to understand that most reviewers on newegg wouldn't know technology if it kicked em in the @$$ so don't put too much stock into their reviews. Google is a man's best friend.)

Edited by Crawlerz246

Well, OK.. continintal breakfast sized. a dab about the same size as the threaded end of one of the screws that's used to fasten your power supply to the case.

Edit: As Crawler246 said, too much is counter productive.

Edited by Scottike

I use the size of a 1/2 grain of rice....I spread it out over the core and apply the heatsink....then I pull it and check the patch...if it look like too much I wipe off the heatsink and re-apply and check again...until there is a small amount of transfer...

well look with thermal compound less is more. you obviously want as little of it as possible (about 2 grains of cooked rice) because more actually does the opposite.

Hmmmm... that still sounds like too much thermal compound :unsure: