VGA Waterblock Help!!!

robsamberg

As long as I'm here, I'd like to take advantage of the community's expertise.

So, I have a eVGA GTX 285 FTW Edition graphics card. Part # 01G-P3-1182-AR.

It's ok, I guess, but it runs a little hot. First of all, in the part number, does the '01G' mean it's a 1st gen card?

And more importantly, I need an awesome waterblock with full coverage that will fit (is compatible) with this particular graphics card.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Not necessarily.... There is a number on the back and to fit a certain water block it has to be a certain reference board. (revisions of board lay out = reference board)

If its the 285 then it needs to be either a p891 or p892 reference board to use swiftechs heatsink and water block. The logo can be found on the back side of the card where the nvidia logo is.

Swiftech Go to there website and buy up if you have the proper reference board. Newegg may have the stuff too but the Block from newegg is out of stock.

But if you 285 is a P892 reference board then it will be able to use the komodo water block. lucky you.

whoa - good stuff man. thank you very much.

i'm trying to tweak a few things, and it looks like to see the reference number i'd have to remove the card from my rig, so it'll have to wait for a bit.

thank you again for your help - outstanding!!!

whoa - good stuff man. thank you very much.

i'm trying to tweak a few things, and it looks like to see the reference number i'd have to remove the card from my rig, so it'll have to wait for a bit.

thank you again for your help - outstanding!!!

Depends on the way your computer is set-up. If you dont have a huge northbridge heatsink you should be able to see it. good luck and I hope oyu have the majic number. But for now what kind of card is it? Brand I.E. msi bfg tech evga etc. Either way put this on your computer and up the fan speed to compensate. till then use the attached file I gave you. It evga percision and it will allow you to boost the fan to cool it down a bit if you need.

Depends on the way your computer is set-up. If you dont have a huge northbridge heatsink you should be able to see it. good luck and I hope oyu have the majic number. But for now what kind of card is it? Brand I.E. msi bfg tech evga etc. Either way put this on your computer and up the fan speed to compensate. till then use the attached file I gave you. It evga percision and it will allow you to boost the fan to cool it down a bit if you need.

oh right -

I have the eVGA GTX 285 FTW. I used the eVGA precision app and did 2 things - I underclocked the card to 685 which I think is ridiculous that I'd have to do that because I paid for the FTW. Oh well. And, I gave the fan some extra juice - I'm running at about 80 c. while playing Borderlands - I played for about 30 min. It usually crashes some time about then, but I'll have to see if the fixes help.

My next move would be to replace the stock thermal paste with some arctic silver 5 and see if that helps any. I'd really like to get a waterblock for this card though.

I'm also using the eVGA X58 Classified motherboard, and the heatsink is HUGE. Anyway, I just bought the EK-FB EVGA X58 Classified waterblock because my NB was burning up. I'll wait to install it in case I end up getting a VGA waterblock so I can just do everything at once.

Thanks again.

The DangerDen GTX 285 blockshere are not bad either. Im sure EK makes something as well!

Yes! Definitely, I really like these blocks.

I think I might actually go with one of them as soon as I'm sure that I have the right version, the right tubing and the right barbs. Sigh. I'll get there eventually.

Thanks for the link.

oh right -

I have the eVGA GTX 285 FTW. I used the eVGA precision app and did 2 things - I underclocked the card to 685 which I think is ridiculous that I'd have to do that because I paid for the FTW. Oh well. And, I gave the fan some extra juice - I'm running at about 80 c. while playing Borderlands - I played for about 30 min. It usually crashes some time about then, but I'll have to see if the fixes help.

My next move would be to replace the stock thermal paste with some arctic silver 5 and see if that helps any. I'd really like to get a waterblock for this card though.

I'm also using the eVGA X58 Classified motherboard, and the heatsink is HUGE. Anyway, I just bought the EK-FB EVGA X58 Classified waterblock because my NB was burning up. I'll wait to install it in case I end up getting a VGA waterblock so I can just do everything at once.

Thanks again.

I personally don't like my graphics card running that hot but isn't the upper limit for that GPU 90-110?

And also. What is the NB running at?

This would be my 2nd RMA.

Perhaps I just picked the wrong card with FTW Edition, but maybe I'll get lucky with one of my RMA's.

Thanks all.

As far as my NB goes, it's burning up too. I have the eVGA X58 3X SLI Classified motherboard. It's great and from what I understand the NB does tend to run a little hot, and I'm sure that's not helping my graphics card either, but I just bought the EK-FB-EVGA X58 Classified Waterblock so that should help tons.

I'm making some progress about which card I need to buy, now it's just a matter of deciding which one to go with.

My choices are EK, DangerDen, Swiftech and then there's the Heatkiller one. That's the most expensive one. Does anyone have a preference for either of the preceding? Anyone have any experience or thoughts on the Heatkiller waterblock?

Thanks again.