What SSD To Pick For (Only) OS & Programs

exactly what I want to - I have a caviar black 640GB for game 'n such. for OS and apps I'd like to purchase a SSD.

now they are superbly expensive. and by my count I need at least 50GB. that's w/o all the temp files for recoding things. addon another 10GB.

for fun - mmmmm 1TB lol costs twice as my pC all together! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227500 ha! (just for note - in no way am I thinking of purchasing this)... I need a sensible SSD about 100GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820167016 seems a bit more tolerable then 375$ for another one. should I get it? or should I go for the bigger 100GB?

could someone plz ell me why this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820139137 is so little compared to intel's 375$?

I read the intel as 219 with the rebate

Yesterday's Hardware Roundup included two reviews on the Kingston 30GB SSDNow V Series Boot Drive that is being offered as a SSD boot drive at a reasonable price. The are some caveats so be sure to read the reviews before making a decision.

Any of the top SSD's should meet your needs for an OS/App drive. What you're looking for in this case is:

1. Random Access Speed, which will vary from .1 to .3ms (all fast enough)

2. IOPS, if you're looking to do any heavy database/server transactions or video editing

3. Reliability, stuttering can really bog down your system performance

4. Price and space

First, I'd look for how much space you're going to need. I have 30GB space out of 120GB on my Corsair P128, but that's with Windows 7 Pro x64 with Microsoft Office 2007, SQL Server 2005 and 2008, and Visual Studios 2005 and 2008... plus a couple other programs and a Windows XP Pro x32 VM. You won't really need more than a 128GB SSD unless...

You're looking for IOPS:

1. Intel X-25M leads it for MLC based SSD's

2. Mushkin Enhanced IO comes next, along with...

3. Crucial M225 and OCZ Vertex

I highly recommend the Corsair P128 if you're looking for reliability and only Random Access Speeds (the sequential Read/Write speeds are a bonus, but not really that important with the Spinpoint F3 drives out). If you want something more (with better IOPS), then the above choices should help.

Seems like lots of people have/recommend the OCZ Agility/Vertex series. What about its Solid 2 series? It's even cheaper than the Agility. Will there be a big performance difference?

Seems like lots of people have/recommend the OCZ Agility/Vertex series. What about its Solid 2 series? It's even cheaper than the Agility. Will there be a big performance difference?

In actual usage, probably not. The biggest actual benefit of SSD's is access times and random read/write performance and even the lower-end Indilinx drives are good at that. The Agility is often on sale with a pretty good MIR though so the price difference is often negligible

I building a new HD setup for some day now.

I use 2 Corsair SSD Extreme X32 32GB.

read/write speed up to 220MB/135MB sec on single drive

in raid 0 , Read is over 400mb\s and write around 170mb\s and 0.1ms

Computer seem to be more stabile with SSD. i can also use less voltage to cpu with only SSD

Tempfiles internet cockies and stuff + bigfiles i use

2 WD Black dualcore and 1 Samsund F1 also in raid 0

2+1 different drives works very good together

Read\write 310\327 mb/s very fast

Turned a lot of stuff that SSD dont like off.

SSD in raid 0 dont support TRIM

RobBan

Edited by RobBan-Swe