How important is Memory Cooling when OC

DatsMagic

Im gonna be building this rig and i want to know if i need to do any cooling for my memory? I plan to OC to 1600 with my i5 750

Intel Core i5 750 LGA 1,156 socket with Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme

Mother Board

GA-P55-UD6

VideoCard

2 ATI HD Radeon 5850 crossfire with 2 DD-Summit Block

Hardrive

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12

Memory

[ Ripjaws ] F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Microcool Banchetto 101 Clear Modular Case

the ram normal frequence is 1600 u dont have to oc,dont u read the spec of ur ram???

Sorry if i sound stupid i am a noob at this. But if I'm using a i5 750 the bus speed can only reach 1333mhz without OC so that would mean i would have to OC to get the bus at 1600mhz Right?

As far as additional cooling for the ram

it should be fine as long as you don't over volt it . And you have no need for that.

Edited by dling

Sorry if i sound stupid i am a noob at this. But if I'm using a i5 750 the bus speed can only reach 1333mhz without OC so that would mean i would have to OC to get the bus at 1600mhz Right?

You're not stupid... and I apologize for the smarty response from a previous poster. Yes, you will have to OC to get your RAM up to it's rated speed of 1600Mhz.

And no, there isn't any need for additional cooling on that RAM unless you plan on pushing it well over 1600Mhz and adding extra voltage in the process.

Depending on whether you plan on overclocking your processor too, you will need to play around with the bus speed by increasing it while adjusting your cpu multiplier and RAM divider until you find a spot you like and that proves to be stable. Keep in mind that RAM dividers can increase or decrease your resulting RAM frequency. I'm not completely familiar with your board, but you will have some predetermined dividers already programmed into the BIOS that you can select from.

You're not stupid... and I apologize for the smarty response from a previous poster. Yes, you will have to OC to get your RAM up to it's rated speed of 1600Mhz.

And no, there isn't any need for additional cooling on that RAM unless you plan on pushing it well over 1600Mhz and adding extra voltage in the process.

Depending on whether you plan on overclocking your processor too, you will need to play around with the bus speed by increasing it while adjusting your cpu multiplier and RAM divider until you find a spot you like and that proves to be stable. Keep in mind that RAM dividers can increase or decrease your resulting RAM frequency. I'm not completely familiar with your board, but you will have some predetermined dividers already programmed into the BIOS that you can select from.

Thanks that answered it perfectly

Can you help with with the tubing and fittings, pump and res is should use? what size 1/4 or 3/8? I was trying to get quality and style.

Edited by DatsMagic

Great answer :thumbs-up: Now for the healing, group hug. :D

I would use 1/2" ID tubing for something with that many components and a 320 rad. As for pump a Liang D5/Swiftech MCP655.

Agreed - 1/2" ID tubing is a little harder to work with and not quite as flexible as 3/8" but it has a better flow rate with less restriction. The MCP655 pump is a beauty. It comes in adjustable speed and non-adjustable speed model (I use the non-adjustable version of that same pump). I also recently switched to the same waterblock that you're considering and I've been happy with it too.

As far as the rad goes a 320 of any name brand will suite your purposes (and in fact might be a little overkill depending on what all you plan on including in your loop). At any rate nothing smaller than a 120X2 IMHO.

There are some great Intel O/C guides here and out on the net. If this is your first Intel build in a while you might give those a read and familiarize yourself with the methodology. All of them go into a lot more depth than the simple bus/cpu multiplier/memory divider explanation that I gave. For simplicity sake here is a link for overclocking an i5 on the UD5 version of your board;

http://techgage.com/article/overclocking_i...i5-750_i7-870/1

Good luck, keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask questions if you need help.

Edited by wevsspot

Agreed - 1/2" ID tubing is a little harder to work with and not quite as flexible as 3/8" but it has a better flow rate with less restriction. The MCP655 pump is a beauty. It comes in adjustable speed and non-adjustable speed model (I use the non-adjustable version of that same pump). I also recently switched to the same waterblock that you're considering and I've been happy with it too.

As far as the rad goes a 320 of any name brand will suite your purposes (and in fact might be a little overkill depending on what all you plan on including in your loop). At any rate nothing smaller than a 120X2 IMHO.

There are some great Intel O/C guides here and out on the net. If this is your first Intel build in a while you might give those a read and familiarize yourself with the methodology. All of them go into a lot more depth than the simple bus/cpu multiplier/memory divider explanation that I gave. For simplicity sake here is a link for overclocking an i5 on the UD5 version of your board;

http://techgage.com/article/overclocking_i...i5-750_i7-870/1

Good luck, keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask questions if you need help.

Thanks again. I'll take a look at the guide