Cooler for a Phenom II X4 955

Miek

Without overclocking, will the stock AMD cooler keep the Phenom II X4 955 cool enough?

I'm planning on using it in a build. I'll probably eventually overclock (which is when I'll buy a better cooler). But until then... Will the stock one be enough? I'm trying to cut costs wherever possible.

I just finished building my new system a week or so ago and I too got a Phenom II 955 and yes, the stock cooler is enough. I even had it up to 3.4 Ghz (upped multiplier to 17 to essentially make it a 965 chip) and it still ran at acceptable temperatures. But I wanted to overclock right away so I got the Noctua D14 heatsink....its linked in my signature. To me, well worth it. Luckily, my case fit it...just barely. I have about 1mm clearance to my side door. I can touch the window and it will move just ever so slightly and touch the tips of the heatpipes. Enough clearance not to rattle thankfully. Anywho, it dropped my temperatures dramatically. Now, I'm at 3.9Ghz and idle at 36C and max out at 50C.

Heres a link to the thread I made a week ago and been talking about cooling and overclocking in it. Hope it helps you some.

Cooling Link

Overclocking Link

Edited by GmAz

unless you like taking motherboards out of computers I recommend you buy a hyper 212 at the start for around 29$.

if your case gives you access to the back of the motherboard then dont worry about it.

unless you like taking motherboards out of computers I recommend you buy a hyper 212 at the start for around 29$.

if your case gives you access to the back of the motherboard then dont worry about it.

I plan on using a HAF 922 with a hole behind the CPU for that reason. :D

• 1 month later...