Which of These 3 Sound Cards Would You Buy ?

Publicnuisance

I will be buying a new sound card in the next month or so and have narrowed my choices to these three:

Asus Xonar DX

Auzentech X-Plosion

Creative X-FI Titanium

They are all within $10-20 of each other at my local PC store. Which would you guys go for ? I was leading towards the Asus myself as I have kind of lost faith in Creative drivers.

i dont think that ASUS has an optical out

you just going to use this for gaming or u have a receiver?

Edit:

oh wait, it comes with a toslink adapter add on it seems

Edited by potatochobit

i dont think that ASUS has an optical out

you just going to use this for gaming or u have a receiver?

I am just going to use it for gaming. It will be hooked up to either my headphones or a 2.1 speaker set. Nothing fancy.

Edited by Publicnuisance

Using a cheap set of speakers, and for every day use, not sure why you are even investing in a sound card. Anything wrong with the on board sound?

+1 from me too - sounds (no pun intended :)) like a waste of good money. If you absolutely must have a sound card then you could surely pick up something less expensive to use for your intended purpose.

Using a cheap set of speakers, and for every day use, not sure why you are even investing in a sound card. Anything wrong with the on board sound?

I have never had a very high quality speaker set but when I went from onboard sound a few years ago to a Audigy 4 (have since sold it) I noticed the difference right away even on my cheap logitech set at the time. Also a sound card allows me to enable EAX which many games won't let me do because of onboard sound. I could always upscale what speaker set I plan to buy.

I could always upscale what speaker set I plan to buy.

True, and if a good sound solution is in the cards right now it doesn't hurt to future proof yourself. I'm not a huge fan of Creative because of the bloatware that's included in their full driver releases, but with that being said I'm still using an aged but perfectly performing Audigy2 ZS. So I wouldn't completely write off Creative just yet.

Any of those three sound cards would be a splendid solution, but of the three I would be leaning towards the Asus if I were spending my own money right now. Keep in mind (IMHO) nobody does EAX like Creative though - so if heavy gaming is in the mix you might lean towards the Creative Card.

Edited by wevsspot

Personally a new headset would be a much better upgrade than a new soundcard. Sure the soundcard improves the sound, but in the end of the day it's the headset you're listening to.

I have a Sennheiser PXC 150 headset I use when I am not using a speaker set, that's not a bad headset right there.

I confess, I use a Logitech USB headset because I'm not an audiophile. But a good sound card with a great headset is hard to beat when you're gaming.

Listen guys, the OP wasn't asking whether or not we thought he should use headsets, buy new speakers, or use onboard sound (and I'm guilty of jumping on that bandwagon too - and i apologize).

He has three different sound cards he wants to spend his money on and he needs a recommendation. My vote went to the Asus for all around, or the Creative if he plans on heavy gaming due to native EAX support for all versions.