Need a few things for the new pc. opinions?

IoDd64

So, I haven't been on here in a very long time - don't see any older people around, all new faces... anyway back to the topic at hand.

Ive built this so far:

phenom x4 955 BE (should've just bought the 965)

Radeon 5870

2x 2 gig g.skill ddr3 1333

1tb WD green caviar

dvd+/- rw,

etc etc

Now this is waht I've noticed. 4 gigs isn't enough apparently, I will buy another 4 gigs. Also, the 7,200rpm drive is really the only bottle neck. i always find myself waiting on the hard drive..

should I invest in a SSD? i mostly burn dvds for family and play video games.

Also, this mid tower isnt big enough anymore.

Cooler Master cosmos/ HAF or the corsair 800D obsidian? I'm leaning towards the obsidian just because the haf looks immature for young gamers, and i never really liked the cosmos. But is the 800D really worth its $280 price tag? I will be water cooling in the future. I will be pairing this new case with a corsair HX850w (gotta love the 7 year warranty :)

Also, before i delve into a w/c set up. should i go with a tuniq 120 or a v10...?

Just curious what you are doing that is using more than 4gigs ram,,, I have 4 gigs and have only ever used 75% and thats while installing a game and playing crysis at the same time lol.

I want an ssd to,, but i am gonna wait till you get more space for a decent price,, as I want about 200 gig and its just too much money for one of those right now

Edited by feetfats

If you're running Windows XP then the 4Gb of RAM should be adequate. For Vista x64 I recommend 6-8Gb and for Windows 7 x64 6Gb is usually more than enough. But I understand the want/need for more RAM - I suffer from that addiction too :)

If you don't want to invest in SSD right now you could always do a RAID0 with a couple of the WD Greens or Blacks. I've got two of the WD640 Gb Black drives in a RAID0 array and they are as fast as my 2X74 Gb Raptors in a RAID0 array.

The Corsair Obsidian looks like a great case but man I have a hard time justifying that much for a case...........

Excellent choice on the power supply.

As far as the cpu cooler goes I think I'd pick the tuniq over the V10 - but if I were building my own rig I'd be using the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO or the Prolimatech Megahalem.

Edited by wevsspot

I have win 7 64 bit,, no i sure cant run crysis on full, (at least not with decent frame rates)

but I wonder if the monitor I am using to tell me how much ram I am using is lying to me?

Edited by feetfats

Hey whats up, im runing almost ur same sistem, p955, asus crosshair III, 4gb 1600mhz ddr3 gskill, and im waiting for the 5850 to arrive, now ive a 4350 on the pc rofl, but anyways, im running windows 7 ultimate x64, only with normal programs open, like msn, firefox and all background stuff im using 1.5, ive never reached the 4gb but maybe is cuz im not playing at good resolutions, with the 5850 ill see and ill let you know. Regarding to the HD yes their its always making the hole process slower, ive a 7200 rpm 640gb 32mb buffer hd and sometimes despite all the stuff it takes ages for some things, im thinkin on buying one more and do a RAID 0 but i dont have the money now lol. IF you have the money to spend go with the water cooling, but remember it takes bit more of care. im using a cm v8 and its making a good job. back to ram, im planing to add the other 4 gb in a year or less, i advice you to get 2 WD velociraptors if u can and make a raid 0 or if u can too get 4, and make the raid i cant remember the name i think is 0+1 that its the raid 0 but more reliable.

good luck

it's not that 7200rpm drives are slow (because they're not lol)

it's that you have a caviar green which is best applied to being a storage drive.

you'd get a little more performance with a true 7200rpm drive but not much, and more ram over 4GB is cool but only usable in a small number of things

and no you shouldn't have bought the 965 since it's $30 more for flipping a switch, you should overclock your 955!! :thumbs-up:

sorry if that all sounded mean :(

it's not that 7200rpm drives are slow (because they're not lol)

it's that you have a caviar green which is best applied to being a storage drive.

you'd get a little more performance with a true 7200rpm drive but not much, and more ram over 4GB is cool but only usable in a small number of things

and no you shouldn't have bought the 965 since it's $30 more for flipping a switch, you should overclock your 955!! :thumbs-up:

sorry if that all sounded mean :(

haha is the black, well, is no thaaat, slow i made it sound a bit exagerated, but for having good processor,and other parts, and you do a task that only depends on the hd, it takes more time and makes me angry hahah

Edited by MrFaka