Phenom II X2 550 - Unlock/overclock cooling concerns

Deman Risu

~~~

Would a Core Contact Freezer fit on my mobo? I have a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P, with very tall RAM (Corsair XMS3 DHX, which has very tall heat spreaders).

Also, would it be easy for a build noob like me? (I've only just put together my first computer)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so, if you install them in the far 2 dimm slots. thats the cooler I have, and Im using tall dimms and they just barely fit in the farthest 2 dimm slots on my msi 790gx-65g

it doesnt matter what brand they are. I would recomend if you are getting 8gb to get an 8gb kit rather than just throwing in some extra dimms. but I believe that low profile coolers will fit below the fan

it doesnt matter what brand they are. I would recomend if you are getting 8gb to get an 8gb kit rather than just throwing in some extra dimms. but I believe that low profile coolers will fit below the fan

my Ultra Kaze fans are thicker than the average 120mm fans, and if I can fit tall memory heat spreaders than anyone can (except for retarded coolers like the coolermaster v10).

I also 1up mis matched modules haha, I just threw 4 more gb of low profile Gskills and the system booted right up with no change in voltage :thumbs-up: Just match speeds, timings and voltage and you're set

Reason being: my case isn't too big, and I am going to be transporting the computer, fully assembled, to Australia in February (and the less chance something heavy ends up falling off and rattling around inside the case, the better).

im not sure of the performance of the 92mm. if you cant fit the 120 then I guess go ahead. but as for transport, if you are that worried about it, you can remove it before the flight and reinstall it once you get there. just dont forget the thermal compound

The 120mm is obviously better. You also shouldn't get 4 sticks of ram. 1st because they won't fit unless their heat spreaders are the same size as the ram board, 2nd because it's always better to get 2 instead of 4 sticks - it's more stable for overclocking.

Also yes the cooler will fit any mobo. When I was buying it, I did A LOT of research because I was concerned it wouldn't fit my mobo because of my NB heatsink but it did. It should be clear on any mobo.

Also I'd recommend some good thermal paste too. I've got Arctic Silver 5, it used to be the best but now there are others that are good too. Ask around and you'll find out. I'm not up to date with the tims so I can't tell ya.