Overclocking E8500

Danzer

Hey guys,

I'm new to overclocking and I want to try it out on my rig. I have an E8500 @ 3.16GHz, a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L and 2GBs DDR2 800 ram. Right now my system temp is at 26c and cpu temp at 25c. I'm not running anything big in the background, only bittorrent and some other software. I want to see how far my system can go without any upgrades to stock cooling. I have an Antec 900 case which has 4 fans, and I have also added another small fan. It has decent cooling all around. How can I go about overclocking it, possibly not to the max, but somewhere towards that area? Keep in mind I'm a newbie.

Thanks,

Danzer

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So upon moving some wires around my case for more airflow, I pulled on a SATA cable a little too hard and it snapped off my WD Raptor HD (main drive). I think overclocking my rig is out of the question for now... I'm very ecstatic right now. It's the best way to end Christmas...

Thanks for the suggestion though you guys, I appreciate it.

Danzer

depends on what video card you are running. if you are close to your psu's max watt with it factory then I would upgrade just because. im not a fan of psu's below 650 but that is just me.

I am not a fan of Xigmatek. If I were you I would go with something like This zulman. I have one in GF's rig. Keeps the proc dang near room temp at idle.
I don't know why you say you arent a fan of Xigmatek when after you give a link of that Zalman. It will only be 10 degrees better than the stock hsf at best. The Xigmatek beats the TRUE 120 in most cases and is really cheap. If you dont like push pins the bolt thru kit can be had for under 10 bucks on newegg.