painting a 932 HAF inside

Why are you so insistent on using engine enamel? Just a normal flat black can of Krylon multi surface paint and some self etching primer will suffice. Just go to your local hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware or Menards they carry lots of spray paint.

I am not insistent on engine enamel, in fact I can use anything. I just thought regular paint might smell at higher temperatures is all.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless your case gets past the point where it is to hot to touch normal paint will suffice, but if its getting that hot I think you have other issues.

very well put.

do you think I can use a can of model spray paint (Testors)? I have http://graphics.hobbypeople.net/gallery/301259.jpg if so what should I use for priming? I have laquer for painting model planes, or is primer not needed in this case?

I dont want it to smell over time (it wont heat too much but it will heat over a loooooooong time)...

Huuuhhh... Well be prepared for the case to smell really bad. I painted the inside of my Lexa blackline case and the fumes were overwhelming even after the paint dried. I left it in the garage for a week with the door open so it could air out. But eventually the smell goes away.

Another thing I'd like to add is that your better off getting the case powdercoated since it's more prone to being scratched if you were to use a spray can. Plus the results will look more professional. No matter how good you prep the case it will still scratch very very easily.

One more thing too that I'd like to add is if your painting the case you will have to take the whole thing apart inside and out. You can't just leave it together and try to paint it like that cause there are so many nook and crannies in the case where the paint won't be able to get to. That means you will have to de-rivet the whole case.

Edited by Queenz

Huuuhhh... Well be prepared for the case to smell really bad. I painted the inside of my Lexa blackline case and the fumes were overwhelming even after the paint dried. I left it in the garage for a week with the door open so it could air out. But eventually the smell goes away.

Another thing I'd like to add is that your better off getting the case powdercoated since it's more prone to being scratched if you were to use a spray can. Plus the results will look more professional. No matter how good you prep the case it will still scratch very very easily.

One more thing too that I'd like to add is if your painting the case you will have to take the whole thing apart inside and out. You can't just leave it together and try to paint it like that cause there are so many nook and crannies in the case where the paint won't be able to get to. That means you will have to de-rivet the whole case.

u're kidding me?! ur case stinks?! jebus. (this isn't a joke or anything?) there's no way I need that. what paint?

I plan on taking the case apart, but I will not de-rivet it. I can tape over parts that are not unscrewable.

u're kidding me?! ur case stinks?! jebus. (this isn't a joke or anything?) there's no way I need that. what paint?

I plan on taking the case apart, but I will not de-rivet it. I can tape over parts that are not unscrewable.

Ofcoarse it stunk. But it was only for a week. After that the smell slowly went away after letting it air out. I used High Quality Dupli-color Automotive paint. I found it to be more durable than crappy everyday Kryolon Paint. I had to let it air out cause those kind of fumes in my house are not allowed cause I have birds and it's toxic to them. It's toxic to any kind of animals as a matter of fact.

I'm telling you it you don't de-rivet the case it's going to be a total mess. The paint will run too. It's nice to paint a case and DIY cause I tried it out on my own. Just check out my worklog in my signature. But it's too much of a headache IMHO. That's exactly why on my current build I'm buying a case that's already powder coated black on the inside. If you have any other questions let me know.

EDIT: If you want more durability like what I did, add a clearcoat layer after you finish painting.

Ofcoarse it stunk. But it was only for a week. After that the smell slowly went away after letting it air out. I used High Quality Dupli-color Automotive paint. I found it to be more durable than crappy everyday Kryolon Paint. I had to let it air out cause those kind of fumes in my house are not allowed cause I have birds and it's toxic to them. It's toxic to any kind of animals as a matter of fact.

I'm telling you it you don't de-rivet the case it's going to be a total mess. The paint will run too. It's nice to paint a case and DIY cause I tried it out on my own. Just check out my worklog in my signature. But it's too much of a headache IMHO. That's exactly why on my current build I'm buying a case that's already powder coated black on the inside. If you have any other questions let me know.

EDIT: If you want more durability like what I did, add a clearcoat layer after you finish painting.

yh I saw your work - very nice btw. :thumbs-up:

what you're saying sounds contrary to what others said. they RECOMMENDED krylon and don't think automotive is a good idea.

being a cripple, I probably wouldn't have enough strength in my hands to rerivet so that's my reason for NOT UNriveting.

smeeling paint?! you know I've painted more then 100 model planes all sorts of ways in russia and here (ofcourse there I didnt have an airbrush) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdXZUYT5eZ4 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMscbG4WDOk and when the paint dried it never smelled. I cannot imagine that. because this PC stand in my room there's absolutely no way it can stink.

yh I saw your work - very nice btw. :thumbs-up:

what you're saying sounds contrary to what others said. they RECOMMENDED krylon and don't think automotive is a good idea.

being a cripple, I probably wouldn't have enough strength in my hands to rerivet so that's my reason for NOT UNriveting.

smeeling paint?! you know I've painted more then 100 model planes all sorts of ways in russia and here (ofcourse there I didnt have an airbrush) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdXZUYT5eZ4 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMscbG4WDOk and when the paint dried it never smelled. I cannot imagine that. because this PC stand in my room there's absolutely no way it can stink.

thanks man. You can try using krylon maybe it won't smell too bad, but I know for a fact that the Dupli-color auto paint does. Gooduck :)

Im having trouble finding a FLAT BLACK primer that covers galvanized steel. could the community help plz? Home Depot (maybe its just mine) seems to be lacking in the brain department.

maybe I'll buy the paint at the same place too.

I finished disasembly (I refure to unrivet) but everything else is gone: wires, fans, catches, PCI slots, decorative front, etc.

I've never painted the inside of a case, but I am thinking about doing my 932 as well. I was planning on using black spraypaint, as this worked well painting the outside of a case I did a few months ago.

I used regular krylon semi gloss spray paint on top of white krylon primer (on the case mentioned, a CM 330 elite). I roughed everything up with some 200 grit (very gently) and started applying thin even coats. The prep took about an hour and a half (will probably take a lot longer inside a case). Painting took about 5 hours (10 coats, half hour dry time between each). I will warn that spraypaint is easy to scracth, but with ten coats on the case it wasn't really an issue. Ten sounds like a lot (2 primer, 8 paint), but the coats I put on were so thin it didn't matter. If you are going to use spray paint plan on doing multiple coats. Putting the paint on thin helps keep it from running, keep it smooth and even, and makes the paint stay put better. I wouldn't worry too much about scratches on the inside of the case. If you are careful about putting your rig back together you shouldn't have anything to worry about unless you spend a lot of time poking around inside your case.

On that note, powder coating would be the best option, but you will pay for it.