Overclocking a Phenom II 940

your overclock is fine, I don't think it will go much higher anyway

dont'waste your money on coolers and boards or what not

save for when you get a new build this coming year and do it then

come on now, no discouraging. IMHO if you want to go higher with that chip please experiment with it. the best thing you can do for your experience is to push it to where you want it and to find its max or just simply satisfy your urge. Chances are soon as ballistx said, and alot of what he has made as a guide is great information, your going to need to move the nb speed up and its voltage but please don't forget about the cpu-NB voltage. its going to play and important role in getting the chip further up there.

Good luck, enjoy and I hope you get it where you want it.

P.S. Right now I'm trying out a few more setting changes and overclocking a little further. at 3.70 24 hour stable..... looking for more. :D HAH HAH

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I that cooler wont do you any good

he can go higher, but not on that lame excuse for a cooler

Edited by Skugpezz

another thing, if he buys a cooler, it can be used ion other builds too. I don't buy a new cooler for each build.

Well right now I got my chip stable at 3.5ghz and 2.4ghz on the northbridge. I was wondering if maybe there was a balance, like if my northbridge was too high my core cant go higher. I think my motherboard is running at the max voltage it can put to the proc @ +150mV and +100mV NB. My temps are 36C at idle & 46ish C at load, which I think is pretty good.

Well right now I got my chip stable at 3.5ghz and 2.4ghz on the northbridge. I was wondering if maybe there was a balance, like if my northbridge was too high my core cant go higher. I think my motherboard is running at the max voltage it can put to the proc @ +150mV and +100mV NB. My temps are 36C at idle & 46ish C at load, which I think is pretty good.

yea 46c is good, but your cooler is being used lol. 150mV = .15v . that means you are running the cpu at 1.37v from stock 1.32V . Voltage fail

EDIT : Your Cooler needs to go

Edited by Skugpezz

yea 46c is good, but your cooler is being used lol. 150mV = .15v . that means you are running the cpu at 1.37v from stock 1.32V . Voltage fail

EDIT : Your Cooler needs to go

Well my CPU-z says that during games I'm peaking at around 1.47v I'm not sure if thats correct or not. And of course my cpu cooler is being used lol. I don't know why I have to get a new cooler..the one I got in here is brand new (Hyper N520 from cooler master http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2879)

Well my CPU-z says that during games I'm peaking at around 1.47v I'm not sure if thats correct or not. And of course my cpu cooler is being used lol. I don't know why I have to get a new cooler..the one I got in here is brand new (Hyper N520 from cooler master http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2879)

that cooler just wont cut it f!ver

EDIT: Changing the fans on the cooler will help improve cooling.

Edited by Skugpezz

put the juice to it and move it up there. I have my voltage running at 1.450 right now. in your case that 100mv over and its fine. just idles around 35 with H2O cooling. lets see what it can do.

Actually I was way wrong on the load temps. Idle I am at 36C but at full load, Prime95 for an hour, it settles at 61C. When I did instal the CPU cooler it did come with some crappy thermal grese and it didn't spread very well over the CPU. Do you think that could be why the temps go up so drastically under full load? Remember I am running 3.5Ghz instead of 3.0Ghz on all four cores & I'm running 2.4Ghz on the northbridge rather than the stock 1.8Ghz.

Actually I was way wrong on the load temps. Idle I am at 36C but at full load, Prime95 for an hour, it settles at 61C. When I did instal the CPU cooler it did come with some crappy thermal grese and it didn't spread very well over the CPU. Do you think that could be why the temps go up so drastically under full load? Remember I am running 3.5Ghz instead of 3.0Ghz on all four cores & I'm running 2.4Ghz on the northbridge rather than the stock 1.8Ghz.

It is a known fact that your cooler isnt good for quad core cpu.