Graphics card overclocking problems

mrc1992

hello i have a gigabyte 4670 1gb ddr3 gpu:750 memory:800 now wen i overclock the gpu to 770 and the memory to 820 after 20 mins of gameplay is freezes and then the screen goes white then i have to cut the power on my c and start it up again

could anyone shed some light on my problem

many regards mitchell

hello i have a gigabyte 4670 1gb ddr3 gpu:750 memory:800 now wen i overclock the gpu to 770 and the memory to 820 after 20 mins of gameplay is freezes and then the screen goes white then i have to cut the power on my c and start it up again

could anyone shed some light on my problem

many regards mitchell

your card cant handle that high of a OC is my guess.. I would have the same problem when I set mine too high.. Just got to find that perfect spot and keep it there.

Edited by compbrainiac

That could be a heat related problem. Have you used the built in ATi overclocking tool to determine what max clocks that CCC thinks you can run?

You can also create custom fan profiles using CCC. The first thing I would do is set your video card fan speed to 100% and run it at your current clocks and see if the card locks up. This should eliminate questions about heat and then we can work backwards from there.

i set my fan to 100 and it idles at 38 and under load its 50 to 55 depends on wi=hich game but i heard somewhere that if u wanna overclock ur graphics card u might need to increase the pci-e frequency

I have achieved pretty substantial graphic card overclocks without ever having to adjust the PCIe frequency. However no harm in trying - but you shouldn't adjust it but 1-5MHz at the most. Be aware that increasing the PCIe frequency might have other unintended affects on system stability or performance though.

Did you already have your fan running at full speed when you were experiencing the lockups?

PCIe frq is dangerous to touch. Although there is a big difference in opinions I wouldn't...for now. I've read that some get gains, other don't...or get damage. Speaking of which, tampering with the pcie frq can damage SATA for a reason I'm too lazy to remember but it does. I'm not sure that this means that if u use ATA you can increase as much as you want (well within boundaries of course).

PCIe frq is dangerous to touch. Although there is a big difference in opinions I wouldn't...for now. I've read that some get gains, other don't...or get damage. Speaking of which, tampering with the pcie frq can damage SATA for a reason I'm too lazy to remember but it does. I'm not sure that this means that if u use ATA you can increase as much as you want (well within boundaries of course).

It will not cause physical damage, but can often corrupt your harddrives. I have corrupted a SATA drive with only 115mhz PCI-E freq...

Only a small benefit anyway, not worth messing with. Some hardcore guys ghost their benchmark rigs HDs so when they do corrupt from max-effort overclocking they can be easily formatted and restored :).

i increased my pci-e frquency to 105mhz and that didnt make a difference, so im not going to risk corrupting my hard drives and ive only had this card for 1 week so im gonna take it back and swap it for something else wat would better a gt220 1gb ddr3 or a sapphire 4670 1gb gddr3

gts 220 is moreso of a card you would be pleased with for PhysX usage if you had a main ATI card . recently i compared the 4650/4670 hardcore to decide if it was that or a low level 2XX series. 46XX will stomp it.

compusa has a 1gbddr2 model for $59, thats a great power to price ratio

Edited by cirro