Recommend a cooler for i7 920

Phixious

It depends on what you set the fans at (and what fans).

I've seen the IX-14 beat the Mega at lower fan speeds, but at higher ones the Mega beats the IX-14.

The noctua seems good.

I went with the mega, should be arriving on Monday, with 2x scythe kaze fans

However from reading lots of reviews they are all within a few c's and alot better than even the best heatsinks of 4-5 years ago.

Review after review the mega holds in there, and seems like that's been the case since I first read a review on it. I don't remember how long ago that was, but I think it was about 2 years ago. Because it tends to be the best, especially with higher rpm/cfm/static pressure fans, and the familiarity and solidness through the reviews of the last couple of years or so I went with the mega. But whatever you choose all of those seem to be quality.

I suggest getting the mega, based on the above, but I'm sure whatever you get will be very comparable.

Now just need a vid card and a possibly an ssd drive and I got everything for my build. Probably a 5770 and 32gb ssd.

Here's to hoping the used 920 c0 I bought for 80 bucks isn't fried lol.

Edited by CardsFan88

Hi, Id go for the Prolimatechs too, the Noctua NH-D14 is I think the top cooling solution now - beating the Prolimatechs by about 2C, but its really very huge! They cost about the same though since the D14 includes 2 fans already whereas the Prolimatechs come without. :D

a difference of 2 degrees Celsius is negligible.

Edited by damian

Well 2c's is about 5f

Plus again it depends on the FANS and SPEED you're using.

Again some heatsinks don't benefit as much from higher cfm/static pressure fans. While others continue to scale well (get colder) with higher cfm/static pressure fans at higher rpm's.

The Mega is one of the latter.

Personally speaking, the sounds of loud fans don't bother me much. Plus I prefer using headphones most of the time, which should then cancel out the sound of the fans.

I guess it depends on do you want cool or quiet? It's hard to get both if you want to overclock hard.

Plus you can always use a fan controller. keep it low when just surfing the net, crank it up when you play games.

+1 for the Megahalems. I use it and love it. Excellent temps on my Q9550 @ 3.9. Currently idling lowest 29C and highest 34C right now. Full load on IBT never goes about 63C on any core. OCCT never goes above 54C. Can't speak for the others but I'm impressed. Plan on letting it cool my future 1336 build as well.