Overclocking

guyrichi247

Ive got my new i7 920 build up and running :D and im starting to OC it... I was wondering what sort of voltages you guys need to get to 4GHz. I know each system and chip is different but i wanted to get a rough guide so i know that im in the right ballpark and im not going to fry it :)

And atm ive got a coolermaster V8 in my antec 902 and its keeps my CPU to 20 degrees idle and 38 full load at 3.2GHz, do you reckon i could hit 4GHz+ with it and not have a problem??

those temps seem really low for full load. What program are you using to load your cpu? Also what voltage are you using for 3.2? If those temps are right you shouldnt have a problem hitting 4ghz

Im using Prime 95 for loading of the CPU and the voltage is 1.2250, is increasing the voltage OK as long as the temps stay down? Im not going to blow the CPU even if it runs reasonably cool?

My i7 920 will hit 4Ghz at 1.268v but needs 1.275v for true full stability. 4.3Ghz takes 1.35v. 4.6Ghz takes 1.45v but it's not fully stable and will exceed my cooling limits after a short time. I can run SuperPi 1M and 32M at 4.6Ghz but not much else. It's really the suicide max I can boot into Windows at but still has some functionality for benchmarking.

My i7 920 will hit 4Ghz at 1.268v but needs 1.275v for true full stability. 4.3Ghz takes 1.35v. 4.6Ghz takes 1.45v but it's not fully stable and will exceed my cooling limits after a short time. I can run SuperPi 1M and 32M at 4.6Ghz but not much else. It's really the suicide max I can boot into Windows at but still has some functionality for benchmarking.

Wish my w3520 would hit 4.6 at only 1.45... Takes me 1.5v just to boot at 4.5ghz

To be fair while it is air cooled my system isn't inside of a case. It sits on a bench which makes things so much easier to upgrade and tweak. I don't have airflow issues.

I think I have a pretty good chip but I believe the key is I have the best air cooler out there. Many will debate it but I think the results speak for themselves.

It's certainly not anything special on my part. I'm still learning how to overclock an i7.

I seem to be having some serious problems getting it to run stable. It runs prime for about 2.5 hours then blue screens and restarts. I have set the voltage to 1.4750 in BIOS but it still happens and when I run the large FFT torture test is comes up with fatal errors on all cores after about 10 seconds...even at 1.4570v - is it normal to be stable for 2+hours on small FFTs then fail straight away on Large?? And do you reckon i need more vcore for it to run stable or should I change something else?

Also core temps are 65 degrees full prime load...is this ok? Or should it be kept cooler??

It would really help if i could run this computer at 4ghz as it cuts about half an hour off of video processing times compared to 2.66ghz

I seem to be having some serious problems getting it to run stable. It runs prime for about 2.5 hours then blue screens and restarts. I have set the voltage to 1.4750 in BIOS but it still happens and when I run the large FFT torture test is comes up with fatal errors on all cores after about 10 seconds...even at 1.4570v - is it normal to be stable for 2+hours on small FFTs then fail straight away on Large?? And do you reckon i need more vcore for it to run stable or should I change something else?

Also core temps are 65 degrees full prime load...is this ok? Or should it be kept cooler??

Those voltages are way high compared to what I do to get to 4Ghz, I do 1.25V with bclk 200 and multipler at 20, I have to turn off power saving (such as speed step) features or else mine will randomly crash at idle and I have to turn off intel turbo boost (or else it'll hit 4.2Ghz and won't be stable). Mine hits 68C at full load which I believe is the recommended max.

Edited by xchrissypoox

Hi guyrichi247,

My first time actually posting in OCC. but i had similar problems to yourself, but i am able to have my 920 at 4ghz with 1.4v. I also use the V8 and it keeps it to 50 - 60 under load.

Also take a look at i7 920 to 4Ghz

Edited by Fieldsy