Should I overclock to 4Ghz+?

mizzl

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can go with Intel design max (67.9C @ 130W) or go with what others tell you is safe. If I wanted to keep my processor for a couple of years or more I wouldn't push it much past the Intel Thermal Specification - but that's just me and I'm fairly conservative.

Edited by wevsspot

"Right now, I overclocked my i7 920 to 3.7Ghz at 1.15 vCore and max core temps of 61/57/56/54 during prime95. Is it worth it to overclock to 4Ghz+, or should I just leave it at this?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

you came here asking the question......it is your decision, why not give it a try, you are not going to hurt anything except a few electrons, just keep the vcore at a reasonable level and see what is, speculation is just that, speculation.....

at least find out your parameters and limits, then make an informed decision once you have the data....

laterzzzz..................

Do you have Intel Turbo Mode enabled or disabled?

I run mine at a blck of 170, cpu multiplier = auto, and Intel Turbo Mode enabled. With Intel Turbo Mode enabled I get the extra 21 multiplier for a resulting clock speed of 3.57GHz.

That also gives me a resulting RAM speed of 1700MHz with the RAM divider I'm using.

I've tested my 920 up to 4.0GHz, sure benchmark scores improve but in real world I don't see/feel/notice any difference between 3.57GHz and 4.0GHz.

So at least in my situation I'm happy with the "mild" CPU overclock and the memory performance at my current settings.