Should I overclock to 4Ghz+?

mizzl

Right now, I overclocked my i7 920 to 3.7Ghz at 1.15 vCore and max core temps of 61/57/56/54 during prime95. Is it worth it to overclock to 4Ghz+, or should I just leave it at this?

Image:

hehehei7overclock.png

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're the only one that can answer that question. To hit 4.0ghz you will likely need to increase the vcore and you will certainly have more heat to deal with. To hit 4.0ghz you'll need a motherboard capable of 200 blck (unless you want to use the Intel Turbo feature and get the x21 multiplier) - can your motherboard, power supply and memory handle that?

Another big question is whether you plan to lock it down at 4.0ghz 24/7 or are you just after a one time bragging right?

Then of course there is always the question of risk - if you fry one of your components en-route to 4.0ghz can you afford to replace it?

Edited by wevsspot

Well, I have a 750W power supply so that's no prob. Also, this is not a 24/7 machine nor do I want bragging rights. I read that temps under 70C load are fine.. Is that true?

Under 60 I would say. Unless you want to shorten your cpu's life span. Read the specs for your CPU in the intel web page. Whatever temp it says there, than thats the one. All cpu's have different max temps (maybe not by alot but still different) So when you see what your's is. If you really need to, you can go over but you'll know that you've been warned.

Also from 3.7 to 4.0 I'd say is worth the try. If you get it stable and manage to run it at a good temp that is within the "comfortable zone" of your cpu then it'd be great.

You're the only one that can answer that question. To hit 4.0ghz you will likely need to increase the vcore and you will certainly have more heat to deal with. To hit 4.0ghz you'll need a motherboard capable of 200 blck (unless you want to use the Intel Turbo feature and get the x21 multiplier) - can your motherboard, power supply and memory handle that?

Another big question is whether you plan to lock it down at 4.0ghz 24/7 or are you just after a one time bragging right?

Then of course there is always the question of risk - if you fry one of your components en-route to 4.0ghz can you afford to replace it?

I couldn't say it better.

However if you are focusing in gaming and not benchmarking I don't think 4Ghz worth it.

Go for it..I would crank it up untill yer temps get close to Tj Target under extreme stress testing such as Prime or IBT..Try to stay 5C - 10 C below it and then you'll be fine under "normal" operating conditions..I'd make sure the thermal control ckt in BIOS is enabled tho..And that you have a high temp alarm/shutdown in a program such as Real Temp..But make sure you calibrate Real Temp correctly, it's not really plug and play, but very close..Go to Intel's website and find the Tj Target..Should be there.

Intel Design Datasheet actually says 67.9C

I'm not trying to split hairs. I can tell you what I settled on. For my applications and usage patterns I'm perfectly happy running a 170 blck with Intel Speed Step and Intel Turbo enabled. That gives me the X21 multiplier.

So at Idle my PC is running @ 170X12 = 2.04ghz

Under load my PC is running @ 170X21 = 3.57ghz

I've benched mine up to a 200 bclk and X20 multiplier for 4.0ghz even. But I don't see any real world performance improvements to justify pushing all of my gear that hard. And I'm using good H20 cooling. Of course I can't afford to go replacing hundreds of dollars of computer gear if I melt it prematurely either. So I'd have to say I'm fairly conservative with this rig.

I can about promise that you won't see/feel/notice any performance differences in normal day to day stuff between 3.7 and 4.0ghz

Not too much considering your temps at the current voltage. Just add a bit and test and repeat untill you reach your max temp. If you get to 4.0Ghz before you max out the voltage:temp ratio then cool. If not then what you get is what you get. I think it's cool to have 4.0Ghz but not for the cost of drastically decreasing cpu life. You decide how you wanna proceed.