Need Help and Advise

GabrielT

Ok some of you may remember awhile back when I posted pictures of my 9600GT with 2 blown caps and possibly 1 bulged capacitors. I tried to get it replaced but I guess I never sent in the information. The most obvious one has a gaping hole on top and the other is sitting at an odd angle with reddish stuff coming out of the bottom. This card got VERY hot for a couple of days and that is what I think is why they went because of sustained 105c. They blew much later.

I did some research and only found one other case of blown up 9600GT on some other forum. I did some reading and it seems like some of the 9600s didn't come with all solid caps. From my understanding solid caps do not have creases at the top for designated failure points. About half of the caps however do have these failure points.

DSCF0738.jpg?t=1258095506

I want to break out the soldering iron and try to fix it, I have never soldered anthing like this before so I am going to have my tech sensay give me a hand.

I think I can order some replacements at the hardware store, 1500uf at 6.3v, and the little one I expect is shot is 1000uf at 6.3v.

The exact numbers on the caps are:

FZ87

6.3v

DSCF0732.jpg?t=1258095032

The large Cap by the blown one seems to be leaking out of the bottom. Some reddish colored whatever is coming out just like the top of the blown up one.

DSCF0735.jpg?t=1258095802

The smaller one looks to be being pushed up at an angle.

If anyone can help me with this or see's anything wrong with what I am saying let me know. Sorry my pictures suck.

Edited by gabrieltessin

Any reason why you don't simply RMA the card? XFX has a lifetime warranty

I didn't fill out the warranty papers, I was lazy and lost them awhile ago so now I have to do this. So I figure I have nothing to lose.

Actually it is a Double Lifetime Warranty.

Edited by gabrieltessin

Well I would still call them (Evga) and/or try to get some kind of proof of purchase.

If you feel like you damaged the card and it's your fault then I understand I don't

like to try to get something when I screwed up.

Then I would start with the worse cap the blown one, but how much do they cost?

Then I would start with the worse cap the blown one, but how much do they cost?

Well I just registered the card online, XFX doesn't open their help center for another hour so I am gonna call em up in a bit :D

They cost about $5 for all of them.

Edited by gabrieltessin

Well I just registered the card online, XFX doesn't open their help center for another hour so I am gonna call em up in a bit :D

They cost about $5 for all of them.

What did XFX say?? that's $5 they should be eating, not you

:lol:

Lol so I sent the stuff to the website and didn't get a responce for an hour or so, so I figured I would just find a replacement. SO I went and ordered an MSI 4670 $75 shipped from my local-ish computer store. I come home and see that the RMA looks to be going through after all ROFL. So I will see how it goes from here, I am gonna keep the 4670 for my girlfriend's pc.

:lol:

Lol so I sent the stuff to the website and didn't get a responce for an hour or so, so I figured I would just find a replacement. SO I went and ordered an MSI 4670 $75 shipped from my local-ish computer store. I come home and see that the RMA looks to be going through after all ROFL. So I will see how it goes from here, I am gonna keep the 4670 for my girlfriend's pc.

Is it too late to cancel the 4670?? the 9600GT is probably a bit better