SDHC Class??

pkilway

I recently purchased a new Samsung HMX-H100 digital camcorder. The Best Buy salesman told me I should purchase a SDHC class 4 or higher card to use in this camcorder. Reading the owners manual Samsung recommends a SDHC class 6 or higher card.

I was a bit confused as I didn't know that SDHC cards had classes to them, and am now confused about which class card to use.

Anyone able to help me out? I just need to know if I'm going to need to return/exchange the 32Gb SDHC Class 4 card I purchased from Newegg.com.

Yeah, I'll give it a shot this weekend. I'll test the Hi-Def recording, Std-Def recording and picture modes.

The Best Buy guy wasn't too knowledgable. And a 16Gb Class 4 SDHC card at Best Buy was $89.99. I got my 32Gb Class 4 SDHC card from Newegg.com for $73.99.

Class refers to the minimum rated speed of the card.

Class 2 - 2MB/s

Class 4 - 4MB/s

Class 6 - 6MB/s

However, the card may be capable of a much higher speed. Like the guys above said, test it out to see if it fits your needs.

Class refers to the minimum rated speed of the card.

Class 2 - 2MB/s

Class 4 - 4MB/s

Class 6 - 6MB/s

However, the card may be capable of a much higher speed. Like the guys above said, test it out to see if it fits your needs.

How can you tell what class the card is... I have 2 SDHC cards.

It says the class on the sticker usually - circled number.

If you are recording 1080p on a camcorder, it may require class 6 for shooting at the high bitrate (24mbps like mine requires class 6; class 4 is okay up to 17mbps I believe).

I tested my camcorder this weekend. I set it to the highly resolution - [HD]1080/60i - Super Fine - and it didn't have a problem at all. I even took a few pictures while recording to make sure it didn't have issues trying to save both a picture and a video. The camcorder and SDHC card passed all tests without a hiccup.

• 2 weeks later...

Consumers are often confused because of the marketing behind all of these numbers. There are currently 4 classes of SDHC cards:

Class 2

Class 4

Class 6

Class 10

You may also notice that there are other numbers involved, where the card may say it can transfer at 30MB/s. Which may be the case but it is not a sustained speed. The Class number illustrates in MB/s how fast the card will be sustainably. The new Class 10 cards from Sandisk area amazing I use them for video in my Nikon D300s and D3s.

In other words you may see that a Class 2 card says 15MB/s on it, but it will not likely ever hold a transfer rate of more than 2MB/s. Hence the "Class 2."