Unlock and crash

{CRU}SARGE

hey guys

Hoping someone can offer some insight to a problem Ive been having. I built a system with the new phenom II 500. I a noob at OC'ing btw.

Here's the system:

Asus M4N82 Deluxe w/Nvidia 980a

Phenom II 500

4G Reaper 1066

2x Seagate 500 GB

GTX 275

Cosair TX 750 @60amps

Now the problem is, when I unlock the other 2 cores, everything seems to run fine, until I put a demand on the video, such as loading Call of Duty, then the system locks up solid. I didnt play with the settings much, more or less left everything "auto". Ive browsed the forums, and cant seem to find where I might be going wrong. Im not familiar enough with voltages and such, to go experimenting too far. I kind of thought it should run fine without too much effort. I wasnt pushing it over stock speeds, just the factory 3.0.

Something else Ill add is, Ive seen that CPU-Z is quite popular, but for some reason, it identifies, my chipset as a 780, not a 980.

Well there usually is a reason those extra cores are shut down, they probably wont run at the speed they were designed for without extra voltage. They may not even work properly at all. Run prime 95 and see if you have errors, if you do bump up the voltage. If you feel like the stability point for your procs voltage is not worth the extra cores I suggest shutting them down.

Unlocking cores is never for certain. AMD has shut down those cores more times than not because they are faulty. Some get lucky but its still a gamble.

If you want a quad core, then buy a quad core. Run stress testing programs to see what the problem is, and if it doesnt pass, then theres nothing you can do about it. The cores are faulty

hey guys

Hoping someone can offer some insight to a problem Ive been having. I built a system with the new phenom II 500. I a noob at OC'ing btw.

Here's the system:

Asus M4N82 Deluxe w/Nvidia 980a

Phenom II 500

4G Reaper 1066

2x Seagate 500 GB

GTX 275

Cosair TX 750 @60amps

Now the problem is, when I unlock the other 2 cores, everything seems to run fine, until I put a demand on the video, such as loading Call of Duty, then the system locks up solid. I didnt play with the settings much, more or less left everything "auto". Ive browsed the forums, and cant seem to find where I might be going wrong. Im not familiar enough with voltages and such, to go experimenting too far. I kind of thought it should run fine without too much effort. I wasnt pushing it over stock speeds, just the factory 3.0.

Something else Ill add is, Ive seen that CPU-Z is quite popular, but for some reason, it identifies, my chipset as a 780, not a 980.

AMD uses there faulty quadcores for there dual core and triple core processors in most cases.. the only time your able to unlock one if you get a chip thats perfectly fine but was manufactured as a dual/triple because they were low on chips with one or two faulty cores. unlocking cores can cause unstabilites like your experiance, like one user said a voltage bump may help solve the issue but maybe not.. and if it doesnt i would shut the other two cores back down, and just overclock the hell out of that little dual core, it will still be a beast

Well, I upped the CPU voltage from 1.36 to 1.425, and everything settled down. Seems to be running smoothly, but going to run a stress test on it to see how it goes. Other than the core voltage, everything is stock settings, and set multiplier at 18. seems to run good at 3.6 I will probably just end up shutting down the other 2 cores again, anyways. I am impressed, though, with the benchmarks, Ive seen on these chips. I certainly got my 100 dollars worth. I even see a 965 in the near future...............

On another note,, I just wanted to add,, like someone else said in another post,, the stock heatsink for the 550 looked like it was off an old Duron, so , being as I was upgrading from a 6400+, I decided to try the AMD heatpipe sink, that came with my old 6400. I must say,, my CPU temps are great. under full game load, Ive peaked at about 44 C. Might be something to keep in mind, for those who arent going to extreme OC'ing, cheap alternative to aftermarket.

Edited by {CRU}SARGE

Do not get me started on the stock heatsink for those chips AMD should be classy lady slapped for even shipping them out, I don't understand how they keep the cpu running cool at stock speeds.

Get an aftermarket cooler and oc more. Don't push voltage to any more than 1.55V (1.50 V even). With this cpu u just gotta play around and see what suits u best. I for example don't like 4 cores unlocked cuz it .s up everything so badly. I'm getting errors from everywhere...crashes missing files...and also I don't need 4 cores so I just left it at 2 cores @ 3.8Ghz for now.

Stock coolers do the job as long as u don't oc and put big voltages. Stock cooler for the 550 is absolutely nothing special...I was disappointed that it didn't come with the heatpipe model which I find pretty cool looking. Since you changed that crapy stock cooler with a better stock cooler you might be able to oc like u did but aftermarket cooler is going to help for pushing it any further.