Side fan question

pezcore

So I'm changing some fans around in my case and the side panel holds an 80mm fan. It's positioned about even with my GFX [GTX275, stock dual height w/exhaust) card. Should I have it pulling air in, or pushing air out?

For exhaust I only have the PSU and the rear exit. For intake I'm adding 2 fans in the front, before the HDD's.

Depends. If your GPU is pulling air out of the case, then have it be an intake fan. However, if it just blows air around, then have it be exhaust.

Those are my recommendations anyways.

I've always had better results with a positive case pressure fan setup, to where my case fans blow the cooler outside air IN and OVER the components, and the CPU fan blowing toward the center of the case, then is then expelled via the PSU, side panel vents, the VGA card and a top panel "blow hole" I made, rather than vice-versa.

Experiment!!!

Seeing that you only have a rear fan and a psu fan (won't count the graphics card fan as that may take this discussion off the deep end and is probably pointless) and there is no mention of the size of case, component placement and size, how powerful the existing fans are, cable management so on and so forth...

Depending on the strength of the various fans and configuration (what direction the air is flowing) the effect will render your case either positive or negative. To explain this simply is that if you pressurize your case (positive pressure) you are pushing more air into the case than you are evacuating meaning that the air is trying to escape through any nook and cranny it can find, negative pressure is just the opposite, evacuating more air than is drawn in. There have been numerous debates on this subject in the past either for or against but the best is to test your rig.

I have experimented both theories using a fan controller using weak (quiet) to very powerful (extremely loud) fans and results were varied. Personally I prefer a negative pressure using the powerful fans as I find that my cpu and gpu temps will drop more than if I pressurize the case.

Hopefully after saying all of this you will have understood that what will work for one may not work for another.

I hope this helps. :D .

Yeah, the best thing you can do is just to fiddle around with fan configurations. I usually do this for every case, and I practially always find that intakes on the front and side with exhausts in the rear and top perform better.