No budget multimedia gaming build

Viceroy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's wrong with the WD Green?

nothing is wrong ,

people think it is bad since it the slowest (black is fastest )

but i believe it is the best for economy and heat , i like the blue because 7200rpm = faster than green , but with low temps and less power hungry than the black ...get the one you like ,

for EX : i like the blue most since it is fast and is not power hungry as the black and radiates less heat ( means better cooling to me )

the green is good too , but for heavy gaming get blue or black and for benchmarking as well ...

Voltage on the kit is quite high. Not that good of a deal.

Damn I missed that one!! Anyways I think a 1600 MHz CL9/8 would give better performance than 1333Mhz CL7!! I might have recommended lower latencies over speed but that isn't true. Higher speeds are likely to give better OC headroom and performance. Either ways it doesn't affect the system's performance much!! Apologies for misguidance!!

Edited by nns

I think a 1600 MHz CL9/8 would give better performance than 1333Mhz CL7!! Higher speeds are likely to give better OC headroom and performance. Either ways it doesn't affect the system's performance much!

:withstupid:

but i want to know if this 100% correct

Higher speeds are likely to give better OC headroom

I'm a bit of a newbie, so take this with a grain of salt, but I figure it must just have to do with ratios. The lower your latency and voltage are and the higher your speed is all work together to give you performance. I figure it must be all multiplication and division, at least at the surface before you delve into the quality of all the parts themselves. Like, a timing of 8-8-8-22 is about average, but if the manufacturer is able to get the speed up to DDR3 2000 then it would appear to be quite an impressive ratio. Once you go deeper though, you see that the voltage on the kit is 1.8, which is quite high. You rationalize that you could lower that voltage by .2-.3 by simply lowering the rated speed to DDR3 1800. Then of course you have to take into account the price, and compare it to other kits that are, for all intents and purposes, DDR3 1800 8-8-8-22 1.6v kits.

That's my impression.

Voltage doesn't directly affect the RAM performance! Lower voltage means the memory is more capable and produces less heat!! The voltage may be increased to get better clocks and timings! (Correct me if I am wrong. I have just gathered this from what I have read.)

Otherwise you are quite right according to me. From what I have gathered 1600MHz CL9 is decent memory and 2000Mhz CL8 wouldn't increase the performance noticeably! Lower voltage is generally an added benefit, giving better OCs!

Edited by nns

Voltage doesn't directly affect the RAM performance! Lower voltage means the memory is more capable and produces less heat!! The voltage may be increased to get better clocks and timings! (Correct me if I am wrong. I have just gathered this from what I have read.)

Otherwise you are quite right according to me. From what I have gathered 1600MHz CL9 is decent memory and 2000Mhz CL8 wouldn't increase the performance noticeably! Lower voltage is generally an added benefit, giving better OCs!

thanks for demonstration ..:D

He's done this exact same thread on another forum I go to, though this time he appears to be slightly less rude. Exact same items though and the exact same person, just a different name.

Anyways, how come you're calling this a multimedia/gaming rig if you aren't even considering a dedicated sound card and a good speaker system? Onboard sound can do barely any of the stuff that a sound card can do, especially if you want to watch anything HD or get the most out of your games. Don't skimp on a sound card and speakers because the sound is one of the most important aspects in a game or movie. Without good quality sound, you may as well not bother with anything else.