i7 Upgrade Path

Hey guys,

I am looking into upgrading my CPU, motherboard and RAM.

Now I thought the Gigabyte X58-UD3R, the i7 920 and 6GB of DDR3 was a good upgrade to go with. Is this so?

Any advice/suggestions on the upgrade would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Timmy94

Looks good. It's either that or a Core i7 860 + P55 + 4GB of RAM.

The main advantage of LGA1366 is that it leaves you room for 6-core processors

There are new 1366 processors being planned? When will the 920's be phased out?

Looks good. It's either that or a Core i7 860 + P55 + 4GB of RAM.

The main advantage of LGA1366 is that it leaves you room for 6-core processors

I got the 860 and the MSI GD-65. It's a rocking setup and if you have a Microcenter near by or order it from them, the 860 is $229 right now. There are very little differences between the 1366 and the 1156 in terms of performance and a huge difference in price. (especially if you are going from ground 0 with it) No 6 core processors in the future for the 1156 but seeing that alot of apps still don't fully utilize the quad cores of today, that could potentially be a waste of money right now. The 1156 is the best bang for your buck, besides no NB on p55's. One less thing to heat your case up with. :P

I see, the 860 here in Aus seems to be the same price as the 920.

Now I can get the asus P6T also or should I stick with the X58-UD3R?

Cheers

Yes, but the mobo + memory is more expensive.

Anyways, both are good, you can't really make a bad choice.

:withstupid: Either way you're going to have a good time with it. But the mobo + memory are expensive.

You sure... AUD $320 for the X58-UD3R, AUD $215 for 6G of Corsair PC12800 C7 RAM. I got one of those motherboards for my son last week and am in the process of getting it stable @3.5GHz with a 920 C0 on a stock cooler. The BIOS options are a little different to my MSI Eclipse but it's humming along quite well ATM.

I can get the X58-UD3R for $267AUD, and 6GB of Patriot-Signature 1600 RAM for $149AUd and the 920 for $364AUD. The 860 is in fact $384AUD.

If I go for 1366, I could get it all for $780AUD.

Cheers

Timmy94

Timmy, if you're in Sydney you should check out fluidtek's prices and watch for their "specials". Currently, the i920 is AUD $329 with a X58 motherboard purchase. Fluidtek has the 860 for AUD $339.

PS. I must have been confused with the price for the Gigabyte board I used for my son's build... it was AUD $265 on the receipt.

Edited by Blaise

Do fluidtek do delivery only, or do they have a store in Sydney?

EDIT: Don't worry, I see they have a store. I see they have a sale on sunday, I won't be buying my goods until tues/wed/thurs this week. Will they keep this deal on the i7/x58 you think?

Their RAM is expensive though. I find MSY is a good store for parts though.

Cheers

Timmy94

Edited by Timmy94