Need recommendations for air cooling

Hey all, I've posted here a few times before. At any rate, I'm building myself a nice i7 rig, but I'm a little unsure of what to use as my HS/F, as I hear that the stock cooler is quite meh. I'm not planning on doing any intensive overclocking right off the bat, but there's always that possibility later (though if I do, I might just upgrade to liquid cooling).

So, OCCers, do you have any recommendations? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The I7 generates a lot of heat, so you're going to want a beefy cooler. The Cooler Master V8 would be a good choice if it fits your budget. If you have more cash to spend, I'd look into the Notctua NH-U12P or the TRUE (with a good set of fans for push/pull or one good fan).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. As far as the Noctuna goes, it looks like some people have trouble with the EVGA x58 (I have the 141-BL-E757-TR SLI LE) boards while others don't. Also, I'm using the Cooler Master 690 case, and while I don't think space will be an issue, I'd like to just be sure.

if I was going to buy one right now it would be the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showd...?i=2943&p=1

We asked at the beginning of this review if more is better. In the case of the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme the answer is a solid "Yes it is". The Tuniq Tower 120 and original Thermalright Ultra 120 remain very competitive heatpipe towers. In that same ball park are the Cooler Master Hyper 6+ and the Scythe Infinity with push-pull fans. You will not be disappointed in any of these coolers. However, the best air cooler we have tested is the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. It cools better at all speeds and overclocks, and overclocks the processor further than any air CPU cooler we have tested. We look forward to seeing it on retail shelves, and performance enthusiasts should definitely try to find an Ultra 120 Extreme to cool their processor when it hits the retail channel.

Hey all, I've posted here a few times before. At any rate, I'm building myself a nice i7 rig, but I'm a little unsure of what to use as my HS/F, as I hear that the stock cooler is quite meh. I'm not planning on doing any intensive overclocking right off the bat, but there's always that possibility later (though if I do, I might just upgrade to liquid cooling).

So, OCCers, do you have any recommendations? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Honestly if i were you i would take rourkchris's advice. i did and these are the results.

50717223.jpg w1920.png

You have an undervolted and underclocked cpu what does that prove?

i didn't undervolt the i7 it's just running on idle. Im also pretty sure when any cooler is used in a benchmark they gauge idle temps with full load temps. So the temps im showing him which are at "idle" are valid. kthanxbye!