5870 price range

N.E.A

:withstupid: 512 shader cores will really crank some powah!

Assuming games can use them. :P

The only reason the 4870X2 ever pulls ahead of the 5870/5850 is because it can more easily fill two smaller GPUs with instructions whereas the larger cores in the 5k series just sit there partially idle.

It's like running two computers that are slower versus one larger one with twice as many cores. In many cases the two computers will be able to crank through more real work since they have their own memory buses and less contention of resources.

It'll be nice to keep the competition going, that's for sure. :)

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Assuming games can use them. :P

The only reason the 4870X2 ever pulls ahead of the 5870/5850 is because it can more easily fill two smaller GPUs with instructions whereas the larger cores in the 5k series just sit there partially idle.

It's like running two computers that are slower versus one larger one with twice as many cores. In many cases the two computers will be able to crank through more real work since they have their own memory buses and less contention of resources.

It'll be nice to keep the competition going, that's for sure. :)

well folding to say the least :D

what it sounds fine, sounds like a fan moving air instead of a screaming motor :P

I think that's a very accurate description. I only turn it up to 100% when benchmarking but have it set to 50% the rest of the time. I've never heard it crank up the fan speed while gaming. 35% gives near silent operation(IMO).

dam ,

i think when the fan runs at 50% that should be enough cooling and noise , do not you agree ..?

auto is enough to cool once you get over the fact that the chip is designed to run that way :rolleyes:

dam ,

i think when the fan runs at 50% that should be enough cooling and noise , do not you agree ..?

The auto fan profile will rarely take it over 40% or so. My 4870X2 sounds like a vacuum cleaner at 100% but it's never even gotten close to that when gaming on the auto profile.

50% is more than likely enough. When you're running benchmarks and have the card overclocked to max setting it's just to help insure things go smoothly.

that is what i meant ...