5870 price range

N.E.A

nice that it isnt another 4890 where we waited forever for the suppose x2 model that never came.... nice that i can see pictures that its real... nice that it has better cooling the the standard 5870... nice because if theres pictures its on its way to being out... personally length isnt an issue... i have about 5 6 inchs after my motherboard before i hit the 5.25 bays lol sooo i have plenty of room... also they said its SLIGHTY longer.... not 4 inchs longer.... as it stands the 4850x2 is still bigger then the 5870 and that wasnt that bad sooo its all good... say its 12.5 inchs... thats not terrible

nice :D

nice to meet you :D

Edited by N.E.A

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found some mixed news about overclocking utilities for the 5870. RivaTuner and GPU Tool doesn't work with this card currently. AMD GPU Clock Tool does work but it's very limited. It seems to require voltage increases to really get the most out of this card. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1090/1/ Asus appears to have voltage adjustments available out of the box for their 5870 if I'm not mistaken. I'm only interested in this for running 3DMark benchmarking but nothing else. I'd set it back to stock clocks immediately afterwards. It would just be nice if the CCC didn't limit the overclocking to 900/1300 which my card easily does.

I was going to post this in the 5870 testing thread but that's totally debased into a PhysX vs. Havok thread now.

Found some mixed news about overclocking utilities for the 5870. RivaTuner and GPU Tool doesn't work with this card currently. AMD GPU Clock Tool does work but it's very limited. It seems to require voltage increases to really get the most out of this card. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1090/1/ Asus appears to have voltage adjustments available out of the box for their 5870 if I'm not mistaken. I'm only interested in this for running 3DMark benchmarking but nothing else. I'd set it back to stock clocks immediately afterwards. It would just be nice if the CCC didn't limit the overclocking to 900/1300 which my card easily does.

I was going to post this in the 5870 testing thread but that's totally debased into a PhysX vs. Havok thread now.

since the temps are so good on it, you should have some good headroom

i think since the card is based on 40nm and ati finally made pretty awesome cooler , i think the card can overclock like crazy

and when sapphire release the toxic/atomic , you can oc it to the moon

......:)

i think since the card is based on 40nm and ati finally made pretty awesome cooler , i think the card can overclock like crazy

and when sapphire release the toxic/atomic , you can oc it to the moon

......:)

Where do you get this stuff? I mean seriously?? IS there some site that generates random "facts" for you?

How have they "finally made" an awesome cooler? There coolers have always been good enough to cool there cards, even WITH HIGH OCs, so long as you could put up with the noise of it.

However, the same can be said for nVidia cards.

As for the Atomic/Toxic cards OC ability, only time will tell if they OC even better or not.

Where do you get this stuff? I mean seriously?? IS there some site that generates random "facts" for you?

How have they "finally made" an awesome cooler? There coolers have always been good enough to cool there cards, even WITH HIGH OCs, so long as you could put up with the noise of it.

However, the same can be said for nVidia cards.

As for the Atomic/Toxic cards OC ability, only time will tell if they OC even better or not.

yes some sites and forums :P

4850/4870/4890 cooler are not as good as 5870/5850 :P

at least the new cooler covers the whole card and maybe this time the card can be cooler with less noise

i saw 4870/4890 toxic / atomic overclock like crazy , so definitely the toxic and atomic (5800) will have the same overclocking potential

as the 4800 :closedeyes:

as for 4800 coolers i never recommend getting the stock cooler card unless you do not plan on overclocking and noise is not a big deal for ya

but since these cards are 40nm this number means that the cards will run cooler maybe quitter depending on the fan

and perhaps it will have a great overclocking potential ................

i did not give statement about toxic and atomic . i just made a prediction ..................:)

at least the new cooler covers the whole card and maybe this time the card can be cooler with less noise

this does not mean you can not overclock with the stock cooler

i meant if you care about heat and noise at the same time

IVI`s 4890 (stock) is overclocked and the fan runs at auto which i think 40%

in his topic he said he could get the fan speed higher than 40% but it sounds crazy .........

Edited by N.E.A

4850/4870/4890 is not as good as 5870/5850 :P

There's nothing wrong with the coolers on any of them. The new cooler on the 5870 doesn't cover the whole card, it just has a massive shroud. The cooler itself only connects to the GPU, RAM, and power circuitry.

There's nothing wrong with the coolers on any of them. The new cooler on the 5870 doesn't cover the whole card, it just has a massive shroud. The cooler itself only connects to the GPU, RAM, and power circuitry.

do you remember 4850 stock cooler , ..?

it was a single slot with small fan and it gets very hot

but card like 4850 vapor-x do not get as hot as the stock

4870/4890 there was not air vents at the front as the 5870 as i remember an i think this can help to get more for the fan

that is what i think ....:)

Wow that's serious. Quoting himself in the same post the quote comes from. :blink:

Edited by The Smith